Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday March 28, 2011 Carry on Tuesday


Carry on Tuesday Prompt #98 I saw it in the mirror, I saw it in my face

Over time
I saw it in the mirror
I saw it in my face
I was surprised at what I saw
I was not the same

Now an old woman
Stares back at me
Small lines have formed
And become as deep canyons
Like the land of the
High mountain desert
Of New Mexico
It all happened over night
So slowly

While at work
Fulfilling my ideas
Old age had silently crept in
And enfolded my being

No time to look at myself often
In fact it is said
When we lose ourselves to art
Is when we, find ourselves
But that doesn't include
The way we look
It's more an interior discovery

What I saw in the mirror
And what I saw in my face
Is not me
I am "other"
No longer aware of superficial changes
When I think of myself
I think I am wrong side out
I am "heart"

Like the fighter who leads with his chin
I lead with my own beating heart
I take my pulse
To know my state
I rummage through my
Keepsakes and formulate my plans

I open the tiny folded paper
Shiny and bright
Finding you reflected to my heart
I continue

The path is long
And it takes much concentration to follow
I only look at what I create
Created by the heart of a young girl
The first me
The true heart
Formed over time....

No time for looking in the mirror
No time for looking at my face

10 comments:

Ms. Becky said...

beautiful words, beautiful face. it takes some courage to really have a look, and even more to photograph. at least that's what I've found to be true for myself.

"Like the fighter who leads with his chin
I lead with my own beating heart
I take my pulse
To know my state
I rummage through my
Keepsakes and formulate my plans"

yeah.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh I so love this. And I TOTALLY know the feeling.......how does it happen so fast? And I know that "we" are all that is within, still young and vital, still the same, not what people see on the outside. Love what you say about being wrong side out, being heart.

I remember once my grandma, when she was in her nineties, did a few little dance steps across the room, and I could see that young girl she once was still shining in her eyes.

WONDERFUL poem, Annell. I love every word. I also love the photo of you. It is nice to see my friend's face this morning!

Helen said...

Beautiful YOU ... in every way possible. I caught a glimpse of myself a few days ago and had many of those thoughts and emotions. With one huge exception ~ I'm incapable of describing them with such clarity. Thank you.

Myrna R. said...

I can sure relate. It's fascinating to see this new woman in the mirror who in many ways still feels like the young girl she once was.

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Yes, I know all about this .... how did it happen?

I like the lines:

I only look at what I create
Created by the heart of a young girl

&

No time for looking in the mirror
No time for looking at my face

....that expresses how I feel exactly.

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Annell,
Oh my goodness, perhaps it is in fact my face, that you have been writing about!
As if it happens when our backs are turned for one moment.......
A reality piece!
Best wishes, Eileen

Tess Kincaid said...

I know this feeling. You've described it perfectly in this lovely piece. (wonderful photo!)

Templeton's fury said...

here's to losing (and finding) ourselves in art

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Beautiful you and beautiful words you create. You are 'heart' - inside and out.

Gloria said...

Perfection! You have spoken my heart. This is a magnificent piece that surely is the true picture of who you are. Bravo!

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...