Saturday, January 18, 2014

January 18, 2014 The Sunday Whirl/deVersePoets/Poets United


The Sunday Whirl:  Prompt: twine, conjure, nest, carry, spirits, bend,
through, curl, trinkets, neglect, cap, back, sigh




The Days of Her Life

So like a ball of twine
Unwinding
In unexpected directions
Often bending back upon
Itself
Carry feelings
Of moments
No longer known

So like a nest
Build of a thousand
Twigs
And untold spirits
Conjure up
Places
Of original findings

So like the trinkets
Collected
Neglected
Discarded
Lost
Forgotten
Once called
Friends

So like the curl
Escaped from
Under her cap
Found in the middle
Of her forehead


Sigh....

Through it all
Summer
Winter
Spring
Or fall

A number canceled
A day lived

__________________
deVerse Poets  Prompt:  Trees


Eating Trees
There are two
Little horses
In a pasture
On the highway
They have eaten
Everything
And
Every tree

We love trees
As well as
Everything
Made of trees
Homes
Hardwood floors
Furniture
Paper
Trinkets
And that is why
We cut down so
Many

I wonder....
If we were
Left in the pasture
And no one came
Would we eat
The trees

_________________
Poets United/ Poets Pantry #185


The Tiny Berg I Stand On

Balance myself
On this tiny iceberg
It bobs and weaves

The sun continues
To shine
Melts my berg
No room for
Both my feet
I will then be
Standing on
One foot
Like the
Heron
Standing
In the tidewater
Soaking up the
Rays

Feeling empty
With great
Concentration
On his face
In his eyes
Lids squeezed
Down to a slit
Watching
For the fish
That swims
His way
Waiting for
His lunch

I hear him singing
He misses me
I sing back to him
I am lonely
On my tiny
Iceberg
Standing on
One foot












24 comments:

Brian Miller said...

once called friends...its rather bitter sweet....i like the metaphor of the next and all the collected things that end up in them annell...

Brian Miller said...

nest*

as to the trees poem...ugh, perhaps we love the products of trees far too much you know...knowing our greed...we would probably eat the trees....smiles.

Laurie Kolp said...

Both lovely and with such thought-provoking endings, but I especially like the first one.

brudberg said...

I find it sad we love the paper so much ... we'd gladly write a poem of the last tree... on the last paper... very much liked your thought on this.

Mary said...

Ah...I like the idea of life being like a ball of twine unwinding in unexpected directions. I can identify with that. It resonates with me.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Loved both of these, Annell, but especially was intrigued by your thoughts on all of the things we love which has cost so many trees. So true.

vivinfrance said...

Great Wordle - I haven't yet found the words: can't get used to doing without the earlywords!

Your tree poem is just right. Wake up, world, to what you are losing by cutting down trees!

Anonymous said...

Great use of the wordle words!

Unknown said...

Trinkets/friends - so sad how both once so important, how some end up discarded, lost, forgotten. Sometimes the days get cancelled too fast to give them the attention they each deserve.
I was surprised when a paper store opened nearby. I thought for sure it wouldn't last with everyone wanting to go paperless. It's still there and seems to be doing well.

Jules said...

Oh, that little curl...reminds me of the childhood rhyme;
Once there was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
When she was good she was very, very good
And when she was bad she was horrid...

possibly by Charles Addams...
http://www.amazon.com/The-Charles-Addams-Mother-Goose/dp/0689848749

We all have wonderful or not so wonderful family stories - thanks for sharing yours!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Isn't it amazing the things we compare our lives to? Twine, nests, trinkets and curls--all find a home in our hearts to help us explain who we are and what we are about.

Catching Sunrise, Carrying Light

Brian Miller said...

third time is the charm...smiles...the last verse is a bit scary in that there are polar bears and other animals affected by the diminishing bergs....

Jae Rose said...

I think we would eat the trees if we had to..i love seeing the nest again..all inside is magical because you made it so x

revelations said...

two poems that stimulate thought... loved them both.. I can relate to the ball of twine ....

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Came back for The Tiny Berg I Stand On - I so resonate! Love the comparison with the heron.........."standing in the tidewater soaking up the rays."

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I like this. Especially the first stanza

ds said...

Oh, what we do to the trees! probably we would eat them, given the chance (in a way, we do: leaves, cinnamon bark). The twig nest and the berg poem are especially poignant. Thank you.

brenda w said...

I love all three, Annell. Brava!

kaykuala said...

A number canceled
A day lived

Seemingly a moment of accounting for the truth. Matters accomplished and a reflection of its judgement whether good or bad! Nicely annell!

Hank

Kathy Reed said...

in response to the sunday swirl, I found it enchantingly like a fairy tale - using the prompt word, you told quite a story

Sumana Roy said...

love them all....beautiful imagery...i specially like the ball of twine unwinding...i can relate to that...

Sabra Bowers said...

Lovely, Annell. The wordle words took you to times past, too. Have a great week.

Unknown said...

So many lovely turns of phrase. And that nest is gorgeous!

flaubert said...

Annell, the final couplet of the wordle is so true for my life right now. Sorry, the late visit. I am having some difficult issues, that I am dealing with here in my home.

Pamela

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...