Thursday, April 23, 2015

Writers Digest PAD Challenge/ A Historic Poem

A Historic Poem

you came        we talked         but still so much was left unsaid

                          i guess i thought you knew              you asked about me

i came here when you died                           i lived until i could live again

i rented a house on half moon        this house was for sale                  i bought it

i came here because              my gallery was here                   my dealer was here

i came here                  to morn your loss                                    to learn my new life

the years passed          there were money problems             everything was in a hairball

one day became another         at first i did not realize          it was the far side of the world

a good place to work              i was aware                                  i was not too connected

to this place                  but soon enough my roots grew                           i buried my heart

in the desert                 it has become my home           people have come and gone in my life

some have stayed             i have guarded my privacy                        then you died last year

i have tried to remain up right                      i am trying to accept your loss from my life

                         some days is it more difficult

i remain with the world of trees & clouds & birds           with the flow of the world

i know what I know           there is much i do not know                    i try to accept change

i look at nature             it looks back at me                i am sad                 nature is sad

because i am part of nature                           i try to see through the illusions of my past

you asked why does the artist continue                       i replied it is who he is &

it is all he can do                                         the artist believes what he does is important

                        the world needs him


the artist is like the monk        who preys everyday      he believes what he does is important

                        the world needs him

April 23, 2015

Note: I have tried to write honestly about the last 20 years of my life. I want you to know.






2 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is a deep read, Annell. Thanks for going so deep and trusting us who read it. I can feel the big losses, feel how the desert slowly healed you from the first. I most love "i remain with the world of trees & clouds & birds / with the flow of the world / " The one constant. I am grateful you have the desert and Taos Mountain. When one is sad, the desert must be a good place to be. I also love your description of being an artist. The work IS important. I like the comparison to a monk that prays. It is very much an inner discipline like prayer, isnt it? This poem wowed me. You are so present in every word.

Unknown said...

wow.... nice one

www.mavinmis.com

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...