Thursday, May 12, 2016

May 12, 2016 dVerse Open Link Night #172/ I Remember Mama

I Remember Mama
                       i was a lucky one
my little mother
as kind as she could be
cared for me
never missed a day
kissed me off to school
and was there to welcome me home

                       a beautiful seamstress
she made clothes for me
i remember a favorite
red with a full skirt
i would spin around to see it flare
beautiful gowns for dances i would go

                       a terrific cook
could make anything
she made jam when the fruit was in season
make pickles, cakes and pies
her meals were best

                        when i was little
she often read to me
favorite stories
she taught me all the nursery rhymes
she introduced me to her love of poetry

                        a home-body
loved our home
our pets
my dad
us kids
her god

                        she took me to church
she had a lovely voice
taught sunday school
and looked after the sick
often took a dish to the covered dish suppers
i'm afraid church didn't take to me

                        lived a long time without complaint
died at 96
way too soon
i remember mama
i miss her everyday

May 12 2016













8 comments:

brudberg said...

Your mom sounds like a formidable force.. such strength... such love in her.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

She sounds like wonderful person with so much love to give to others. Beautiful tribute.

Lots of love,
Sanaa

Therisa's World said...

For those, of us, who have an abusive mom, I envy you, and the time, she spent with you and your family. Only wish, more mothers were like this, filled with love and compassion, towards everyone.

Gayle Walters Rose said...

What a very dear Mama you had, Annell. I love your sweet, endearing poem in tribute to her.

Blogoratti said...

Sweet memories will always be the best thing to hold on to. A heart warming piece, thank you for sharing,

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Wonderful memories - wonderful tribute. Heartwarming indeed.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful mother with us. I really like the last stanza. Our lives on this earth are too short...even at 96.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

What a wonderful woman she was. It warms my heart to read it, Annell.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...