Tuesday, August 29, 2017

HARVEY WE HARDLY KNEW THEE/ dVerse We were instructed to write a poem about footware.

RED SHOES

my new school shoes                are red             and my boots too

and yet some say they are barefoot       no time            to grab their shoes

the water rose so quickly          all they could get          was the baby’s formula

and a bottle                  they had to swim to the rescue              school will be closed

all week                       at the shelter                 dry clothes are needed

most arrive wet             and need blankets        later we can talk about red shoes

August 29, 2017









HARVEY WE HARDLY KNEW THEE

Rolling against the walls in massive waves
We were told his name was Harvey
We did not know him
We were warned
But who could know
He did not want to be one of those
Quickly forgotten
He wanted to be remembered

His destruction would be known far and wide
His name would strike fear into the hearts of men
Fear could be seen in their eyes
Pain-of-loss on their tongues
They said the words over and over
Muttered to themselves
The world changed forever
The time short like stubble in the fields
The water rose to record levels
And then rose some more

Rain bands reached out from the eye
The horrible eye
The lull
The calm
Painted finger nails
A silver shine
There would be no time
To paint your nails
Fingers grasped, clawed
And still the water rose
Came into the house under the door
Soaked the carpet
Floated the dog

Harvey will die in parts unknown
Never required to know himself
When it is over we will say
Harvey, we hardly knew thee
And rue the day he might return

August 29, 2017

Note:  I had to add my poem about “Harvey.”  The storm we all dreaded, yet knew, one day he would come.  I think… Harvey, we hardly knew thee, and look at the mess you made.  My heart goes out to all those in my hometown.  Some were lucky and remained high and dry, but others, were soaked to the bone, lost everything. 


                                                            

11 comments:

brudberg said...

The news are so filled with the disaster of Harvey... it will take a long time to recover I think. Maybe those red shoes will be replaced, but so much will not.

Kim M. Russell said...

It's amazing how school shoes were so important in childhood - and yet they are not at all important in the grand scheme of things, Harvey included.My thoughts are with all those who have lost not just shoes but loved ones, homes, pets, livelihoods and hope.

tonispencer said...

This is such a sad poem. I only read the top half I'm afraid. But it broke my heart - such an incredible look at Harvey and consequences of it. We have so much to be thankful for. We have so much to share.

Jane Dougherty said...

Sometimes the colour of a pair of shoes is neither here nor there.

Frank Hubeny said...

Harvey puts having red shoes in perspective.

De Jackson said...

Oh, annell. I'm so so sorry this touches so close to home for you. Your child's perspective is so touching, and a wonderful take on the prompt. Many prayers for all affected by this disaster.

Unknown said...

I can't say any more than has been said but the last line there, "we can talk about red shoes later" makes this poem for me.

indybev said...

I have been swept away by the tragedy that is Houston, and your poem so eloquently pays homage to the disaster that is Harvey. Time for red shoes later, indeed. For now, prayers for Texas.

Margaret said...

...and then rose some more. The whole poem is well done.

The red shoes poem is very poignant - you've captured it well form a child's perspective- I remember being excited about my new shoes - but after the first day my fee usually hurt as I ran barefoot most of the summer!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

The poem about the shoes really hits home. As does your poem to Harvey. I didnt know Houston was your home town, Annell. It is hard to believe this is happening. Devastating.

Anonymous said...

I liked your poems, especially "Red Shoes." Thank you for writing about hurricane Harvey.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...