Friday, September 29, 2017

Sleep/dVerse

Sleep

sleep a precious commodity     there have been times               when sleep eludes me

i lie awake for hours                reliving days passed                  what he said/she said

would’a, could’a, should’a       thoughts chase dreams away                 vivid pictures reOccur

plain as day                              i know i need the rest               and no matter how determined

sleep is alWays a step away       it seems thIs happens when life is out of balance/ or i am

worry seems to play a pArt       and who needs it                      life will be whAt it is

and no amount of worry will change things      i find mySelf going over yesterday’s grocery list

or all thAt is to be dOne the following day       whAt is needed is a small box to keep it all

perhaps a list would help          mayBe in the quiet hOurs         forgiveness is the answer

forgiveness of mySelf and others         a cup of warm milk      turn off the light

September 29, 2017    

                                   


5 comments:

Frank Hubeny said...

I use lists. I like how you think of of a list as a "small box". That is effectively what they are. The words form the sides of the box. I like this phrase "thoughts chase dreams away". There does seem to be a difference between "thoughts" and "dreams" I wasn't aware of until I read your phrase. Thoughts can go on those lists. Dreams I often can't even remember the next morning--I can't put them in that small box as easily. I agree that forgiveness is the answer, but how does one get to that point where forgiveness has occurred? Sometimes I trying deeper breathing. Nice poem!

indybev said...

This left me sleuthing allude and elude. I agree there is something about making a list or committing to paper that seems to "free up" the tendency to dwell on a thought. As always, a great write!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I go through this so many nights, when my mind wont stop Thinking and keeps me from sleeping. Generally, I give up and read and that eventually makes me sleepy again.

brudberg said...

I do know these nights, going over all you should have done or shouldn't have done..

Maude Lynn said...

I totally relate to this.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...