Monday, October 16, 2017

Water/dVerse

Water

We can only live four days without water, a little longer without food, but water is necessary.  The human body is about 60% water.  The brain and heart are 73% water, perhaps that is why we cry, tears are made of water.  The lungs are about 83% water.  We come from a watery place.
There is nothing more satisfying than clean, cold sparkling water, we die quickly without it.

I grew up on the Texas coast, and there was plenty of water.  Children love to play in water, splash into the surf, like dolphins.  It was not until I moved to the desert, that I became aware of the limited availability of water.  We have a closed system, the water we have is all there is.  It is important to be mindful of our use, and never waste water.  We are told the earth is warming, the shortage of clean water will be known by all.


We come from a watery place
Our bodies are made of water
The shortage of water will be known in all seasons



Tomorrow
The blossom dies
People will be thirsty


Note:  I was not satisfied with the first haiku.  I wanted to add a word that would include all seasons.  I decided "tomorrow," was better.  "Tomorrow" could be be the next day, or many days, or many years, or many generations in the future.  Because of global warming, there may not be water to drink?  Anything we could say, is only a guess.   My haiku is the future talking to the past.

October 16, 2017



12 comments:

brudberg said...

Oh so true... water is a resource we cannot be without, there is a lesson to be learned from the dessert.

tonispencer said...

True. We cannot live without water. How interesting that you went from the coast to the desert.

sarah said...

I never think of Texas as having a coast, but of course it does. I suppose we always get shown the desert. Thank you for reminding me how much I take water for granted, here in damp old Devon. You really miss it when it's not there.

Frank Hubeny said...

It's important not to waste clean water anywhere.

Jane Dougherty said...

We take so many of the fundamentals for granted.

Kim M. Russell said...

I like the shift from interesting facts about water to 'We come from a watery place' and then 'clean, cold sparkling water', my favourite drink. I know very little about Texas and certainly didn't realise it has a coast, which sounds wonderful, and I have absolutely no experience of the desert. The British Isles are surrounded by sea and it is very wet here, especially where I live, on the Norfolk Broads, which are man-made lakes joined by rivers. I can't imagine what it must be like to have a closed system.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Like Kim I live in the UK and live in a coastal town. I think (that here) it true we take the availability of clean drinking water on tap for granted and suffer water shortages rarely. I too cannot imagine a closed system.
Anna :o]

Grace said...

I know about saving that much water, because there was a time, when clean water was precious to us (we bought it every week). Until now, I am still careful with not wasting water as some people don't have enough clean water.

Frank J. Tassone said...

A great reminder of our roots...and our responsibilities!

Samyuktha Semi Jayaprakash said...

I keep forgetting to drink water when it is around me.. Only when i had to make do without it I realized it's grave importance

Paul John Dear said...

Maybe we are going to have to devolve back to being able to live in water? Loved the piece.

Nosaint said...

I liked the line "we come from a watery place"

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...