Monday, November 27, 2017

dVerse/ Haibun Monday: What are your plans? 2017 Chap Challenge November: Day 27 Writers Digest/ Singer of Sad Songs




I have been told, if you want to make God chuckle, make a plan.  With each beat of my heart I am aware of new views to scan, new fields to plow, and new journeys to take.  Without discussing the “do-overs” to be done.  Looking back, I can see much that could be corrected to current standards.  Looking ahead, I will follow my heart beat.  There will be new tales to tell, new mountains to climb, new mysteries to untangle.

I am a child, maybe three or four, I pull the new onion from Aunt Maggie's garden, and right away, I see many layers to be explored.  So, I will be like the onion, slowly peeling the outer leaves back, revealing something unexpected.  Sitting with myself, investigating the "me of me," gathering words, pinning them onto the page.  Perhaps I will answer the question, "Who am I?"

God is amused when I make plans
Late on hot summer evenings
I can hear his laughter

(Some think it is only thunder in the mountains tumbling into the valleys.)



_____________________________________________________________


     



Singer of Sad Songs

i hum               the notes of the song                play over and over in my head

the words to the song               are unknown to me      there is much sadness       

in the world     loss, loneliness, and disease      ageing can bring with it sadness  

often a loss of choices     people locked away               from family and friends          

loss of freedom            many different forms of prison   sometime we are prisoners    

in our own bodies        no longer can do                      what we love

like a lost pet                we can only sit and wait           for what is to come     

of course it is death      we are waiting for                    the final change

i have made peace with death   and know her to be kind          releasing everything

man or beast                from the cage                           that held it bound

November, 27, 2017              

                                                

9 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

After reading your haibun, I will never hear thunder without thinking of God's laughter. (Sometimes we humans are so foolish, aren't we?)

Kim M. Russell said...

I love the onion analogy, Annell, and what a wonderful haiku - God laughing at your plans - and afterthought. :)

Sad songs and sad song singers - even though they make me sad, I am always drawn to them.

Glenn Buttkus said...

Your both pragmatic and ambitious approach to the writings to come is refreshing. dVerse continues to enrichen all of us. I gave up on writing for several other blogs. My photography has shifted into first place for my daily focus now.

Frank Hubeny said...

I make plans and hope some mysteries appear to point out better directions.

Thotpurge said...

Both pieces were deeply philosophical... confronting the future and wondering what if anything we actually do or did control can be a sobering thought. Great write Annell.

Dwight L. Roth said...

Love your idea that making plans makes God laugh! Keep pealing the onion. It will make you laugh and cry.
Dwight

Gina said...

Sitting with myself, investigating the "me of me," - I like this, i don's spend enough time with me, maybe it's time to start a plan on this too. lovely haiku on making God chuckle, as our Heavenly Father He does love our little antics I am sure.

Jane Dougherty said...

I really relate to both of these poems. There isn't much we can do about anything in the end, except accept and make our peace.

annell4 said...

I want your comments, I have messed it up.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...