Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Poets United Midweek Motif/ The Rose/My Dad's Favorite Flower -- 2017 Chapbook Challenge November: Day 22 The Day I Choose is "Someday"

The Rose/ My Dad’s Favorite Flower

it would be hard to pick a favorite    each flower unique          i’ve always favored tulips

and irises too                            flowers come in many lovely colors     red, yellow and blue

and all the other colors             and their variations too           found on the color wheel

in color and form                     flowers have no equal              and somehow they are always

associated with love                 birds know it                            and bees do too

each hides its nectar                 do butterflies have favorites   the rose perhaps the loveliest of all

in all its many colors                red, pink, red violet and more     ...my dad’s favorite flower

November 22, 2017

--------------------------------------------------------------


The Day I Choose is “Someday”

you asked about a day              and this time of year                 so many wonderful days

to choose from                         my birthday/just passed           my father’s birthday/today

thanksgiving/tomorrow           each day of the week                all wonderful days                   

the sun shines brightly              temperatures mild                    they say

the winter will be                     warm and dry this year             i do miss snow            

the beauty of its transformation            all sparkly white/silent             is it global warming

or just a fluke of nature            one warm winter                      in a longline of perfectly         

normal winters                         perhaps a warning                    of things to come                    

the day i choose                       is “someday”                            a day i long for            

a day of understanding             things will be                as they have always been

misunderstandings forgotten     i wonder                                  is that “someday” possible       

have things gone too far           feelings hurt beyond repair       maybe better to choose            

today                                        this present moment     as it is the only day we really have

November 22, 2017                                                                                                                                                   







6 comments:

Susan said...

I also associate memories with specific flowers and that's why they become special. My favorite rose, therefore, is the Lavender ones a past love and I bought for each other in the 1990s. They make me smile.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love irises best..........but have many others that I love, that hold memories of my grandma's garden all through my childhood. I resonate with your second poem, and agree maybe we are best to cherish today while we still have it, in case things get worse......am hoping for some turnaround in 2018. We live in hope.

Nicholas said...

Nice reflective poem, Annell. Good day to you!

Truedessa said...

So many flowers to choose from and I do think it depends on the mood. I find your form intriguing.

X said...

What I enjoy the most about these poems is all the different ways that you can read them. All the way through or down each column. Like a cleave poem, only in three parts instead of two.

I wonder if butterflies have favorites, perhaps different colours provide different tastes. Hmm.

Sumana Roy said...

Your rose has such wonderful association. It's fragrant with memory.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...