Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Poets United Midweek Motif/(Vanity/Narcissism)

A Stranger Stares Back At Me

the tip of my pen        scratches the surface             the surface which reflects my image

i have changed over the years            this should not come as a surprise    as everything changes

i no longer recognize myself              no longer young          who is this grey-haired person

gravity is having its way with me      everything is pointing south   still when you reach for me

in the magic of the moment              we are young again    wrinkles don’t seem to matter

i run my fingers across your back       smooth as satin                      we are slightly bend

only our speech is straight                 appearance                             what is it for

i recognize you in the crowd              you know me                          we are not lost to each other


December 6th, 2017                                       

9 comments:

Glenn Buttkus said...

Loved this piece; don't know what this form is, but as you chase the words, it keeps the blood flowing. Your closing lines were especially touching. Love is the crown jewel for all of us, even as age nibbles at our flesh and bones and innards.

X said...

We change so much as we age. It is a wonder we even recognize ourselves at times. But then again we are always watching ourselves. I think wrinkles add character and texture. And perhaps we get a little wiser and learn how to talk straight.

ANd in the light of love, yes, all of that just kinda melts away.

Susan said...

Totally wonderful! The Title "A Stranger Stares Back At Me" is perfect, when we think only of appearance we miss the inner truth.

Susan said...

May I share this poem?

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is such lovely acceptance of the beauty of being the ages that we are. "I recognize you. You know me." Lovely.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is so tender.. so beautifully emotive!

tonispencer said...

This is so truly tender. I know you...yes indeed. The older me I think is prettier and far more wiser than the young me anyday.

Glenn Buttkus said...

Annell--hard to explain but several years ago my Yahoo email got hacked & I got locked out. I have been glennbuttkus@gmail dot.com for some time. But Word Press & Blogger still cling to the old cookies. My blog is a decade old, has 10,000 posts, and over a million page views. I did not want to lose all that, so my old (frozen) Yahoo account still controls access; I love computers; not.

Sumana Roy said...

"the tip of my pen scratches the surface the surface which reflects my image"...Such a brilliant line!

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...