Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Of the Heart/dVerse

Of the Heart

A gift of the heart
This day has come to a close
The sky a soft pink-to-blue-to-grey
The kitten sits on the windowsill

Surveying his domain
The world at peace
The mountains remain silent
Watching over the people of the valley

Counting the gifts bestowed
A token is a gift of the heart
Preferably unique
One of a kind

Often made by the hand of the giver
Could be a handkerchief
With your initial embroidered on it
Or a paper Valentine

It should carry no market value
Or if it does
The value in coins should be small
As it is a gift of the heart

Something that cannot be purchased
Perhaps a special rock or stone
Found along the way
A flower from your garden

Cookies you bake yourself
Or a letter on blue paper
Tied with a blue ribbon
It is a keepsake after all

Something small
That will fit into your breast pocket
Perhaps a fossil of a shell from long ago
A feather that landed at your feet

The gift would mean nothing to anyone else
But would mean everything to me
A token of your love
A song that only you could sing.

Little gifts exchanged
Love endured
Put away for safe keeping
Or kept near the heart for all times

March 7, 2018




3 comments:

sarah said...

Ah, this is lovely. It's Mothers Day in the UK on Sunday, and this made me think of the little gifts my kids used to give me - valueless and priceless at the same time. You capture it beautifully. Thank you for sharing.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is so beautiful.......I love the gifts mentioned....especially the feather. I remember walking along the beach road years ago, explaining to two friends that I wanted an eagle feather. But you cant "just get" an eagle feather, I explained - it has to be gifted to you when you are deemed worthy. As I was speaking, we saw an eagle feather on the road, lying directly in my path. I picked it up and said "I believe this is for me". They looked at me in awe, as if I were a conjurer. LOL. They said "We think it is too."

Grace said...

The gifts from the heart are priceless!

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...