Saturday, April 21, 2018

IN THE DESERT/Imaginary Gardens with Real Toads -- SUNDAY/Waiting on Words/Ladies in Waiting

Imaginary Gardens with Real Toads

IN THE DESERT
The coyote strolls through the “yard”
A maze of sagebrush
Without a word
First, he is here
And the next he disappears
I welcome them
But keep a close eye on my kitten
The animals live in a parallel universe
Right next to us
The birds come and go as they wish
Humming birds, finches, magpies and such
The snakes and spiders as well
In the fall 
The tarantulas crowd the roads
The desert is not abundant
Their life is not easy
They are always on the move
Always searching
You may see them 
Anytime of day
But move more freely
On the mesas and canyons
At night under millions of stars

April 21, 2018





-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Waiting on Words/Ladies in Waiting

SUNDAY
1918
Sunday
It is summer
Women in white cotton dresses
Dinner on the church grounds
Under moss hung trees
Ancestors buried next door
My Great Grandparents
Mary and Joseph 
My Grandparents
My parents
My own

2018
Sunday just like the day before
And the day after 
All year long
Each day sacred
The light crystal clear
Rain or shine
A life of gratitude
Work quietly
Grateful for this day
Memories abound
Fill the room


April 21, 2018





12 comments:

Marianne said...

Growing up, Sunday was always church day & family day.
Part of a noisy, laughing clan, I was strongly rooted
in those family traditions. I miss that routine.
Your words bring it all back, remind me of sweeter days.
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. At our age, each day is "holy" because it is filled with the gratitude of just breathing, being alive to fill it, however I choose. In childhood, it was the wearing of our "good" clothes, and gathering with related family. Now it is another day to be alive, and to be grateful,

Elizabeth


https://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/a-thought/

Gillena Cox said...

Yes each day is special i have grown now to think. Yet i still hold to my culture of growing up where Sundays were special with its food, dress, and events

Luv both uour poems today Annell

Much🌼love

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I like "the mesas and canyons at night under millions of stars.

Ellecee said...

I like the idea that " animals live in a parallel universe" which they seem to do " At night under millions of stars"

and,, in my childhood Sundays were held the sacred day of the week with all the rituals that entailed, however, today there are different rituals and I like the thought that each day is sacred. And indeed they should be celebrated as so. :-)

tonispencer said...

I like that each day is sacred. all our days are sacred, yes! I also love your word paintings of the mesas and desert. of the coyote wandering...

Brendan said...

First poem, sage observation -- that our human world is parallel to the animal, different perceptions, needs, grid -- we can protect the kitten from the coyote, but we kill so much to achieve that fence .. Second poem, great sense of tradition and time and place -- to be that much here. It reminds me much of an old church just outside of town that is crumbling away, the graves of black grove workers on a nearby hill completely covered over.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I greatly enjoyed both these lovely poems. Fascinating to note that your animals' "parallel universe" in the desert is VERY similar to the one ours have in the rainforest! Or at least the animals themselves, and their behaviour, are very similar.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the first poem especially.......the animals live with the earth as it was intended.......though impacted greatly by humankind. I love the idea of their parallel universe. They are likely happier than we, they dont listen to the news.

Anonymous said...

Your Sunday poem gives me hope, Annell. Thank you.

Love,
Pamela

Kerry O'Connor said...

The animals live in a parallel universe
Right next to us

I like the way you have summed up our co-existence.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the animals see our universe s parallel to theirs? The second poem has a strong sense of time and place.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...