Sunday, April 8, 2018

WHAT IS POETRY FOR ME/Imaginary gardens with real toads -- Poets United Poetry Pantry

WHAT IS POETRY FOR ME

What is poetry for me
It is not about form
Nor rhyme or meter
It is about the beat of the heart
The gentle wind
That moves the wind chime
The breath of my soft kitten
It might recall a sleepless night
A sour pickle
An awesome bite
A letter to the one I love
The tinkle of your laughter
It is about love gone blind
A winter night
An empty belly
A crying child
Poetry fills all the cracks in the damn
The lonely room
The still hour that ticks away
The time that doesn’t end
The fall from the cliff
The end of life as we know it
Too big for a pocket
Just right to hold in my hand
To give to you
To read out loud

April 8, 2018




9 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this description of poetry in a poem, especially the beat of the heart, the gentle wind that moves the wind chime......."It is about love gone blind." Fabulous!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Lovely!💜 Especially like; "Poetry fills all the cracks in the damn."😊

Neeraj Khanka said...

Lovely write ! Indeed, poetry comes from the heart...

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love lists that are also poems, probably after reading The Great Lover by Rupert Brooke in my school days. They fill me with delight and yours is no exception.

Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

Your poem recalls all the blissfulness of what poetry is....beautiful!

tonispencer said...

I too love lists that are poetry. This is so beautiful Annell. What poetry is to you is sad, happy, beautiful, loving....gorgeous.

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

LOVE this! Smiled at the pickle. And especially like these lines:
"Poetry fills all the cracks in the damn
The lonely room
The still hour that ticks away
The time that doesn’t end"

It's funny....I started writing poetry after I retired....took an online course for fun that had us writing every day. That was in 2015....and somehow the words just keep spilling out. :)

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

This is lovely – and you're so right, all of that and more.

Margaret said...

A beautiful list poem!

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...