Thursday, June 28, 2018

THOUGHTS OF YOU IN DAYS OF FEAST AND FAMINE/dVerse

THOUGHTS OF YOU IN DAYS OF FEAST AND FAMINE 

The table is laden
Yet I remain empty
A delight for the senses
Pale green vases
Overflow with fresh flowers

The plates placed on linen
The crystal sparkles
The silver polished
Napkins neatly folded
Music is heard in the background

There is an air of expectation
Will you come
Will there be laughter
Will we remember

When our cups runneth over
Bellies full
Those were the days
We were comfortable then

We gave little thought
To what was to come
The emptiness of days
The end of time

And now
The table is sparse
Laid bare
Like my soul
Yet I do not want
My days are full

My heart keeps time 
With the beat of the clock
Thoughts of you fill my every hour
The hole you dug remains empty

June 28, 2018

Lillian is hosting Tuesday Poetics at dVerse today, the virtual pub for poets, asking folks to write a poem that somehow deals with opposites or uses the literary device of antithesis. One can include simple words in opposition happy/sad, inside/outside; or describe one event from two opposite viewpoints. The opposition can happen in one poem; different stanzas; or even two short poems.  Folks are free to be creative….as long as they deal with opposites! For a different take on the prompt, a satirical one, go to my second post, Mishmash Succotash. Pub opens at 3 PM Boston time….come join us and write in opposites or just read along!




No comments:

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...