Friday, March 23, 2012



Still Life #70 24"x24" gouache on w/c paper

The life of an artist is to be a hermit. In the morning go to the studio. Create the work. Give and take with the galleries that handle the work. Look for opportunities to share the work. I think we have a responsibility to share what we are doing, it might be easier to create the work, and put it under the bed, but on the other hand the work might give others the inspiration to create.

Often our work is not appreciated. Today I got another rejection, which is part of the 'game.'

Art Competition
Turn on computer
Read the email
Like a slap
Crack!
Or a door slammed
In the face

Don't like it
Don't want it
Not chosen
Not good enough
Doesn't please
And yet...

I have done my part
Over years
Created the work
Entred on time
Paid my fee

My ears sting
Still waiting
For your smile
Take a breath
Sun shines
Wind chimes tinkle
In the breeze

Scrape myself
Off the floor
Begin again

Note: There are many more rejections in an artist's life, that acceptances. Where does the artist get the strength to believe in their work? It comes from deep inside, the eyes see the work, and based on all the years of study, and work, the artist must believe....

6 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Yes, it comes from within, and we must believe! Shine on, kiddo!

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

I know just what you are saying here! It is so hard, but you are right, you have to keep going. Sharing your work is important, & not putting it under the bed, which I tend to do. I like what you have been working on recently. Really like the colors! Don't let them get you down!

ayala said...

Sometimes the road is rough but you have to go on and continue because you are an artist and that's your passion. Things will get better, believe it !

Stafford Ray said...

"Take a breath
Sun shines
Wind chimes tinkle
In the breeze"

'Say no more!', as the saying goes.

Stafford Ray said...

I had intended to comment on the painting, thinking it was a separate post from the poem, but it isn't, so here is a comment on the painting.
This one is almost an optical illusion. I found myself tilting the computer screen to get even light onto the image! Then, I laughed because although I have been aware of what you have been doing, this one really did fool me into thinking it was the light that created the colour graduation!
PS, thanks for the loving thoughts.

goatman said...

This piece seems to me to be apart and when put together properly would resemble the ancient pictographs of the Zuni folk up there in Utah.
How many times was JK Rawlings rejected for Harry Potter?
I guess you have to be like the proverbial ducks' back.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...