Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday March 29, 2011 Magpie/ One Shot Poetry


Magpie #59

Mona Lisa

Known by all students
Of art
I look into your eyes
And you say
Do you know me

I bake the bread
For the household
I care for the children
I carry the wood
I carry the water
I wash your clothes

I remove the mice
From the traps
I care for your sick
I tend the dead
I serve you
Do you see me

I move about the room silently
I am called by many names
I give birth to your children
I am as I have always been
I am woman

I am captured in paint
Like an insect in resin
I hang in the museum
Defanged, helpless
No longer dangerous

Now unafraid
You look at me
Bravely look into my eyes
But do you see me
Do know me
I am as I have always been
I am woman
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://onestoppoetry.com/



Su Tsunami Mi Tsunami*
In time we will learn
To live with the nightmares
with the images that frighten
with the sorrow
with the fear

But heart has been etched with
The horror for this time
And for all times

It will be forgotten
As it must be
It will be only
The very old
That will tell the tale
Of what happened here

The sea will again
Be life giving
Like a see-saw in a
Children's play ground
Give and take
Up and down

But it will always be known
That which can give
Can also take away
It is not to be trusted
Give and take
Up and down

Mi Casa Su Casa is a phrase you often hear in New Mexico. It is what I want to say to the people of Japan, Your tsunami is my tsunami. We are one or we are all Japanese, what happens in Japan happens to us also.

14 comments:

Helen said...

As I opened your blog this morning I happened to glance out my office loft window ... a bevy of quail was prancing across my front yard. Magical, like you.

'like an insect in resin' is my favorite line in your Magpie.

cosmos cami said...

This was mystic and beautiful. The closing stanza is moving and pulls it all together. Very nice.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is wonderful, and hopeful. I especially love your comment at the end "your tsunami is my tsunami" and what happens to one happens to us all. I had similar thoughts this morning.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Your Magpie is lovely, who do you see when you look into my eyes. Does anyone really see us.
Your house is my house, your tsunami is my tsunami - I think we all feel the pain and sadness. Wonderful words.

hedgewitch said...

We're on the same wavelength with the mag, I think, Annell. Both poems very well done.

flaubert said...

Annell, I love the magpie poem and your tsunami poem is a very kind and thoughtful post. Nice.

Pamela

SandyCarlson said...

I am woman.
I scare the hell out of you.
Because the ordinary wonders of life
To which I am committed
Elude, perhaps evade you.

They are my nature.

Your poem is pure genius.

Brian Miller said...

what you can trust is that give and take, it is its nature...that too we can remember....very nicely done annell....good to be back...smiles.

Kodjo Deynoo said...

I like the wealth you placed on Mona lisa, to show a woman behind the picture to show a mother and enrich the painting

Elaine said...

This is beautiful Annell.

Steve Isaak said...

Solid, enjoyable work - great use of short lines/their breaks.

Tumblewords: said...

Truly stunning!

Lucy Westenra said...

In a word - excellent.

Trellissimo said...

The daily lot of so many, well expressed.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...