Saturday, May 14, 2011

Saturday May 14, 2011 Writers Island


Image from the internet

"Faith is believing what you know ain't so." --Mark Twain

Writer's Island prompt: Superstition

Superstition
Must apply
To all things
That cannot be proved
And that includes a lot

People that huddle together
In fear
And seek answers
From people or books
What is found is
More often than not
Superstition

Like Huck
I'll keep my rabbit's foot
In my pocket
I won't step on cracks
I'll throw salt
Over my shoulder
Keep a bottle
Tree in my yard
Rub a potato skin
On a wart
Paint my windowsill blue
Whistle in the dark
Knowing all the time
It's all superstition

There are many realms
And for each one of us
It may be different
Probably is
Since we adopt them
To ward off our fears
Cross our fingers
And hope for the best
When all is said
And done
A little superstition
Doesn't hurt
__________________________________________________________________________________

More Than We Know
Windows of the building across the way
facing away from the sun,
are filled with golden light.
How can it be?

The are reflecting
light reflected from mine.

Could there be
accidental gifts
we give
without knowing it?

--Nina Mermey Klippel

12 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

So lovely...."accidental gifts".

erin said...

faith and superstition - i think on them both like a single egg, like love. we do these things: breathe, one step and then another, and love, knowing they don't really exist as inpenetrable facts, however, without the faith of them we have nothing / we are nothing.

a wonderful post.

xo
erin

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Lovely stuff.

Intrigued about the bottle tree - I have seen same mentioned before. What does it mean or ward off?

Anna :o]

Laurie Kolp said...

I agree with Erin, and I love the connection b/t the two pieces.

Andy Sewina said...

A little superstition doesn't hurt - this sums it up nicely for me.

Nicely done!

SandyCarlson said...

Life is profoundly magical. To welcome that is faith, superstion--wonderful, plain and simple.

I love these two pieces, too. Those gifts we give....

Ella said...

I love the magic of accidental gifts; nicely done

Dave King said...

Logical AND magical!

kaykuala said...

A wonderful piece of poetry. I like most the lovely images accompanying your blog.

madhumakhi said...

I like the way you describe superstitions. They are so prevalent in our life and society; and more often than not, they are born in a society of scared people.
I also like your second poem, especially the way you've ended it- how we end up giving more than we realise over the course of a lifetime.

Unknown said...

unique view.
well written entry.

check out short story slam and make a submission today.

ds said...

Faith and superstition, two sides of the same coin (though erin said it much better)--both offering "accidental gifts."
Thank you for this.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...