Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wednesday May 11, 2011 Poetics Asides



Poetics Asides Prompt #131 "When you are not paying attention"

When you are not paying attention
All kinds of things can happen
Take your eyes off the ball
You can become lost
Miss the catch
Lose the game

As an artist
It is the muse
For which you must
Pay attention
For surely
As you nap comfortably
She comes
She will not wake you
You will not know

It is your job
To be at your post
To pay attention
You are waiting
Otherwise you will not
Even be aware
That you have arrived

7 comments:

Poets United said...

Strong, and valuable, advice for poets. You never know when he muse will strike.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I really like this one......this week, I have been napping comfortably too much and the Muse has definitely not been able to get through:) This was a wake up cal, will try to stay upright today and get something done!

Helen said...

So true ... is that why I awaken in the middle of a night with the fragments of a poem whirling in my brain?

flaubert said...

A beautiful poem with a wonderful message, Annell.

Pamela

Jae Rose said...

The last line really changed direction..that it's more about you perhaps than the muse..recognising she is there? I love seeing your 'Day in The Life' piece mounted on your blog page..all that attention in every line and curve..Jae

GYPSYWOMAN said...

and how ironic your post today as i have been thinking of my own muse[s] and speaking of them with friends - my own muse[s] seem to particularly favor the times of full moon and new moon - and when i am traveling - for some reason, they, too, love the open road and feel more open and alive there than most anywhere else - and your words here remind me of how they and i need nourishing at times! great post!

Elizabeth said...

Commented on this earlier, but Blogger locked me out. Love the truth of which you speak, all those whispers we don't lean in and listen to. Lost is a good word,

Elizabeth

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...