Monday, September 12, 2011

Monday September 12, 2011 Seeking the Essence


This is where I begin. I set up a still life in the studio, with pottery, Mexican sarapes and flowers. I draw from the still life set up. Then I paint.


This would be a painting from a still life set-up. It is from this point I begin to find the essence of the still life.



Still Life Revisited/New Mexico Garden (night) 11" x 11" gouache on w/c paper



Still Life Revisited/ Mexican Sarape (night) II 11"x 11" gouache on w/c paper

I continue to try find the essence of the still life. Still Life Revisited/ New Mexico Garden(night) is stark, actually looks "still" to me. It is based on early Mexico pottery and in the second piece, Still Life Revisited/ Mexican Sarape (Night) I have removed the pottery from on top of the sarape, and just painted the essence of the sarape, and for me it also captures the idea of the "stillness" of still life.

*Note: The images did not come from the still life set up, but another. I just wanted to share my process. The steps I go through to find the essence or final image.