Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thursday July 19, 2012 Dreaming of Vermeer


Fragments III #!03  20"x20"  gouache on watercolor paper

After completion of this piece I realized it reminded me of the work of Vermeer.  The black and white checks reminded me of the floors often seen in his work.  And sometimes he put a curtain on the left side of the paiting.  The orange shape reminded me of the the chair he often put in the work and the triangle the window.

Often we see realism in abstraction and abstraction in realism.  It was not my intention to create a work after Vermeer, but sometimes we never know what will be seen in the work.  





These are some of Vermeer's paintings. (Images from the internet.)


3 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Interesting, Annell. I see the influences, the tile pattern, the orange color.

Elizabeth said...

I agree with Sherry. What I really find interesting is your explaination and awareness of your own process. Many artists lack the ability to do so. Thank you for another glimpse,

Elizabeth

layers said...

Thank you for reminding me about Vermeer.. he has always been one of my favorite artists from history.. and I have not thought of him in awhile.. and I do see the influences.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...