Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fragments III #102  20"x20"  gouache on w/c paper

ANNELL LIVINGSTON_____________________________________________________
HC 74 Box 21860 El Prado  New Mexico  87529                        annell@taosnet.com            www.annelllivingston.com




Fragments III Series

For me, it is the idea behind the work that dictates the image that I create.  I do not experience the world, memory, or thought as a whole, but rather in bits and pieces, or fragments.  The final image does not dictate what the viewer should think, but allows a place for the viewer to think.

In this series, Fragments III, I am creating compositions based on collage as a visual model for painting.  The Cubists, Braque and Picasso, first created collage, and it has played a vital role in almost every phase of Modernism.  It is a mode of perception, a multidimensional language, which because of its simplicity has immediacy, and spontaneity that is distinct from other art forms.  The basic principle of the use of cut and pasted colored paper arranged in juxtaposition that form the foundation for an art of limitless associative possibilities.  Through this process I am allowed to explore simultaneously the mysterious spaces between inside and outside, text and image, figuration and abstraction, past and present, two and three-dimensional space. 

These works could be seen as pages of a diary or personal journal, and like poetry, one idea dissolves into another, and the series of work becomes a sequence of new images.  Like each new day, forever changing.  Each piece takes time to create and each piece also requires time to be seen.   

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

enjoying your collage art - fragments.
makes me think of thoughts -how they jockey
for position in our brains, each color/thought
bolder than the previous.

thank you for this art fix.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I am especially struck by the black, blue and white image. Very striking!

Lisa Hughes said...

The blue and orange collage is very compelling. For some reason I see the queen of clubs in the black, blue, white and sliver of red collage. It delights me!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for the very clear, concise explainationn. I am usually a bit leery about commenting on other people's art work. Perhaps because mine has ever been play and open ended meditation. I do however really like the second piece Annell. I can 'see' that flashing moment, pushing into whatever might have been there, without apology or fuss, just happening, because it is time?

Elizabeth

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...