Thursday, January 30, 2014

January 30, 2014 We Write Poems #198/ Child's Play

We Write Poems #198  Prompt Child’s Play



Child’s Play
At twilight
As the fireflies
Are turning on
The world is
Magic
Full of fun
Children play
Games
Some traditional
Some made up
On the spot

A game of tag
Might be initiated
With ‘Your It!”
Exclaimed
All begin
To run
Laughter flutters
Behind each
Running child
Like colorful
Ribbons
If touched
Or captured
A new ‘It’
Is proclaimed
Pure glee

A piece of chalk
A sidewalk
A diagram
To draw
Hop
Hop
Hop
In the circle
Of the
Porch light
Long ago

Note:  In memory, it is as if Edward Hopper painted the scene.  Children playing, fireflies, and yet there is a sense of loneliness.   I did visit the site recommended, the words came, prompted by the prompt ‘Child’s Play.’







6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopper & loneliness...hmm..

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your poem - I didn't sense the feeling of loneliness. The ending line gave me more a feeling of wistfulness of days gone by.

Raven's Wing Poetry said...

I thought of the Owl City song "Fireflies" when I read this...and my own childhood memories of watching fireflies rise up from the grass and give a pre-dusk spectacle, to keep us amused until the stars came out. This is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Love all the sense details that light up the image you painted with words like flitting fireflies. And I must admit, I was tempted to do something very similar with the prompt words,

Elizabeth

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the laughter fluttering behind the children as they run!

Brian Miller said...

i grew up on a hill surrounded by cousins and w used to all gather and play...we played a game of night tag called midnite in the graveyard...ha...you conjoured fun memories in this annell....

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...