Monday, April 6, 2015

Writers Digest PAD Challenge April 6/ Double Rhythm

Double Rhythm

it is the double rhythm of things                they appear one way across the room

across the landscape              across the nighttime sky

but when we come up close                      they reveal something different

a painting is a good example                  we see it across the room

we are drawn to it            we see it up close               the painting is no longer

a still life        pots on a table       but rather it breaks up to be pieces of colorful paint

you saw it              you know what it is                    but it isn't as it appeared

sometimes we find people are like that                       we see them across the room

we like what we see        we are drawn to see them better       when we come up close

they are also not as they appeared                   sometimes this is called double rhythm

April 6, 2015






7 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Intriguing... It is so true, images can be deceiving at times.So wise of you to quote "they are also not as they appeared."

Hope you had a lovely weekend!
Happy Easter :)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love this, Annell, because it reminded me of a wonderful experience. My former husband and I went out for the evening. Walked into a huge room and across the room was a huge colorful painting, rich with movement, alive with suggestions. I crossed the room, only to discover the picture had somehow disappeared. That was explained in a plaque near the image where I learned that the technique used was called palette knife painting. I had been watching a teaching art program on TV for weeks, trying out some of the things I learned there, some of it about using a palette knife instead of a brush. Went home and tried it. It was difficult, I was a beginner, but it turned out to be one of my favorites from that whole experience. Thank you for reminding me and helping me see the essential lesson in the memory. Double ryhthm, yes,

Elizabeth

Sherry Blue Sky said...

It is interesting that you compared a person to a painting in this context. I like the freshness of comparing those two things. Loved Elizabeth's experience too with palette knife painting.

ZQ said...

Well... that was different, interesting, and a wonderful read.
ZQ

humbird said...

I like this observation, reminder don't hurry with conclusions, look at things/events/people from different points of view...Thank you, Annell.

Blogoratti said...

I like this double rhythm, especially with the example of paintings you mentioned. People are the same way too, they look and act different up close.

Jae Rose said...

A wonderful musing on perspective..it's in the eye go the beholder I suppose xo

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...