Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Writers Digest PAD Challenge/ No One Knows

No One Knows

no one knows what I feel inside        i may look ok            on the outside

but that isn't true         i am covered with sorrow        like a bead encrusted dress

i am trying to accept your death       as something that might have happened any day

people die everyday                 they are always coming and going

but the truth is        your death            has crumbled the foundation beneath my feet

turned my spine to jelly         yet... i continue                    i get up in the morning

i continue my work         one day becomes another           i check and i am still here

often my eyes are wet with tears        my heart is broken             like a porcelain cup

dropped to the kitchen floor         i try not to hesitate            for fear my own sorrow

will catch up with me and overtake me          still i look at the sky           forever blue

the mountains are the same         everything looks the same       one cannot see the void

of your absence             it is not something you can see                          only feel

April 29, 2015





2 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I can feel your sorrow, Annell. "I am covered with sorrow like a bead-encrusted dress." The image of the porcelain cup falling to the floor is a strong one. I remember as a child standing at the door of the church at my dad's funeral, looking out, being astounded that the city street was busy with normal comings and goings as if nothing had happened. And yet my whole world had changed. I so feel this poem.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, my friend, for speaking so eloquently for all of us who have known sorrow. Yours is the wisdom of experience, words of truth with such deep meaning. Thank you,

Elizabeth

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...