Sunday, October 25, 2015

October 24, 2015The Sunday Whirl/Last Season's Demons -- Sunday's Whirligig/Sleep--Poets United


Last Season's Demons

the hour early            heavy clouds                  hang in the sky

the land                     as far as I can see          quiet

perhaps all                are still sleeping              the TV on

canned laughter        fills the air                        escape to quiet

the noise drains        from my ears              a tree shaded lane

my favorite          sometimes hard to find     i return in memory

walk in my element   in the quiet shade       demons drop away

kick golden leaves    the trees bare              winter on the way

my theory is         it is the transformation      the white of winter

nothing is as it was    in a very short time     a wonderland 
                                                                            appears

I wonder...            are last seasons demons   still hidden there 
                                                                                              

October 24, 2015

______________________________________________________


Sleep

sleep so valuable a commodity        we don't know               until it evades us

each night                                    i drag myself to bed           my eyes fly open

stare into the darkness of my room                                  i enter my own oubliette

bone tired                                   it has become a mania      the morning finds me

still wearing the same face         eyes wide open                    i touch myself

wondering if i am dreaming        it is morning                    and maybe i am asleep

there is a little rattle in the corner of the room                  perhaps a mouse is waking

after a long night's sleep             i would like to smite    the demon that steals my sleep

i search for an orange melon     to carve into a jack-o-lantern     i'll put a candle in it

to scare away the one                 who steals my sleep             i've tried every trick

perhaps a bit of vanilla cake       or chocolate                    would keep him at bay

October 25, 2015






19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are last season's demons still hidden there...well penned.

ZQ said...

wonderful and interesting.
ZQ

brudberg said...

Oh those demons that keep us awake at night.. I hope Ol' Jack can give you some sleep..

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I really feel the first poem - can see the frozen landscape, am struck by "are last season's demons still hidden there?" under the pristine snow. Your second poem really resonates - those nights when the eyes will not close - I like the idea of carving a jack o lantern to fend off the demons........as good a method as any, LOL.

De Jackson said...

I love the different combinations of words and phrases this format spills. :)

Sanaa Rizvi said...

The eternal question if the last demons still linger on hidden behind the shadows.. excellent poem!

Stacy M.S. said...

what a unique way of writing poetry! i will have to try this.

Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

Two superb poems....oh I have had sleep evade me too many times.....I do adore your thoughts in the first poem as well. I think maybe those demons are washed away by the cold and fresh snow.

humbird said...

Love the both stories. First filled me with wonder too - are last seasons demons return.....and second written in such ironical way about insomnia probably familiar to all more or less...'orange melon' - good idea!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Arresting ideas – last season's demons, and the one who steals your sleep. May your beautiful poems be your protective magic!

Old Egg said...

Both poems were outstanding Annell. Better to eat the cake yourself rather than leave it for the demons...or mice. Sadly the demons are in our minds and always play with us at night.

Anonymous said...

I like both of them. And yes, I see what you mean about heading down similar paths. I experienced the second one just last night. And I doubt vanilla cake would do much good.

Elizabeth

Mary said...

Ah, winter does change the view outside, doesn't it? It can bury or uncover.....and, oh those demons probably live on.

Benjamin Kingery Loomis Roy Moore said...

the view is powerful and well crafted.

Jae Rose said...

Sometimes we have the energy to change the dark forces and thoughts..other times we can become stuck in there (for a awhile at least)...i like how each piece examines the sense of carrying on in a challenging world from two different vantage points maybe? Each familiar and relatable xo

Maude Lynn said...

I totally relate to that second one!

Susan said...

Love this, as I have felt it: "the noise drains from my ears"
I think the demons may be there until we bang all of our pots and pans at new year's day. Of course, Halloween is a pagan new year and that might work as well. I've never banged the pots then, but I have prayed for deepest clarity and blessing.

Unknown said...

love your red wolf stuff.

Cindy Gary Murray Tomblin Bullock said...

nice.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...