Thursday, October 22, 2015

October 22, 2015 Gravity

Gravity

you say gravity           i think of the east river               stylish cement shoes

or times square            the 13th of september                words spoken

someone tipped over   bonds severed                           darkness fell

shortly after lunch       food remained on the table       angry words

uttered                         spoken                                       shouted

shock                           stumbled into the street             how could it happen

so suddenly                 unexpected                                 out of the blue

like a sink hole            happening underground             for years

out of sight                  now silence the echo                  gravity the memory

October 22, 2015





8 comments:

Susan said...

Wow! You hit an emotional level here which gripped my heart. I don't know what the 13th of September was, but I don't need to know. You take me with you all the way: sink hole, underground, echo, "gravity the memory." Wow!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Agreed with Susan.. this seems to be something grave and serious. The emotional impact in this poem comes off strong and unwavering.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I can feel the shock, the disbelief....."like a sinkhole", the solid ground under one's feet suddenly collapsing. Well written, my friend. I can feel the emotions.

Hannah said...

The brevity and impact of each line sends an emotional ripple effect...closing in this strong scene...powerful writing, annell.

Gen Giggles said...

Very strong poem. The heaviness of every line is there.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

So many layers to this, I read and re-read, and keep finding new implications.

Unknown said...

I really like the way these sets of words connect and yet pull in contrast. Very effective for this prompt.

Mary said...

What a strong story, Annell. I think there is much more to this story than we see on the surface!

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...