Monday, November 14, 2011

November 14, 2011 Still Life #26


Still Life #26 22"x22" gouache on w/c paper

In this piece I am working with red and green. Dark mid-tones to light mid-tones. I deconstruct the original still life drawing, finding the abstract images in the drawing, and then reconstruct creating new images. The original still lifes were based on place. The place being New Mexico, where I live and work. I set up a still life including pottery made in Mexico and weavings from Mexico, and include fruits, vegetables and flowers grown locally. The new images seem to speak in a more universal way. In all realism there is abstraction, and in abstraction is realism. As I study the work I begin to see animals, and characters, removed from the original drawings.

These new compositions suggest all over pattern, and yet there are no repeats in the images. It is a different way to create pattern than I have done before.



This is an example of a still life set up I might create in the studio. Then I carefully draw from it.

5 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Lovely piece...I often think of you in the dark morning hours in your studio! Congratulations on this new template!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love your colorful beautiful display in the second photo. Must be so lovely, painting in your studio of a peaceful morning. Enjoy! It is snowing here - beautiful out my window.....so cozy indoors.

Teri said...

This is wonderful. I was going to say that I see animals in it and I'm glad that you do too. It's great to see how one thing can lead to another. After all: we are all one. There is some of this and some of that inside each and every one of us. And vice versa!

layers said...

Green and red are contrasting on the color wheel and can create optical excitement..

SandyCarlson said...

Amazing. You have me rethinking the concept of pattern. Thank you.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...