Friday, January 6, 2012

January 6, 2012 Still Life


Still Life #33 22" x 22", gouache on w/c paper

This year I plan to continue my investigation of the idea of still life. I am also, focusing on the ideas of Joseph Alber's about color. He says, as color is almost never seen alone its visual perception is relative.


Still Life #34 22"x22", gouache on w/c paper

Color deceives continually. The same color evokes innumerable readings. Because of the interaction of color two very different colors can look alike, or nearly alike.


Still Life #35 22"x22", gouache on w/c paper

It is important to see color action as well as feel color relatedness. As we work with color we develop observation and
articulation.


Still Life #36 22"x22", gouache on w/c paper

It is through practice that we arrive at theory. We must learn to see, before we learn theory. This way of searching will lead from visual realization of the interaction between color and color to an awareness of the dependence of color with form and placement, with quantity, with quality and with pronouncement.

4 comments:

ds said...

I so love your "fractal" still lifes. Interesting progression of colors. You remind me that I've long wanted to read Mr. Albers' book on color--so that someday I will learn to see. Thank you.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

These are beautiful and large in size...your study of color theory and the still life is amazing...Joseph Alber a wonderful studio companion. A good art making year ahead!

SandyCarlson said...

I learn so much from your posts. You have me thinking about colors and life and stillness.

* said...

Beautiful work, Annell, I appreciate how each piece speaks differently to the viewer.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...