Saturday, July 20, 2013

July 20, 2013 How to Create a Painting


Fragments G&C #153  30"x30" gouache on w/c paper

How to Create a Painting
Always in a state of repair
Wipe the slate
Driven to continue
Longing rings from far off
Echoes in the heart

When asked
What is the hardest part
About making a painting
The answer is
The beginning
The middle
The end

She begins when she enters
The room that is her studio
No
It will not be laid out for her
No instructions
She must find her way
Through the no-s and rejections
No time for tears

In the middle
She may lose her way
No memory of
What inspired her
And no idea
How to navigate

The artist often
Doesn’t even know
When the end is reached
The last chance
To speak clearly


I think about it
I do not have the key
My only answer is

The artist must continue


Note:
repair, slate, time, driven, think, night, no
mesh, tear, room, longing, key, become
I have heard it declared that “painting is dead,” and yet I find I continue to paint, finding new and different ways to “say” what it is to be alive, to continue the old “dance.”   Elisabeth Tova Bailey says, “The evolution of our species is inextricably tied to making,” I say, it is tied to painting.  It records mystery, history, and the skills of our past.
Painting is a visual language.  A language that is fluent, when words are not sufficient.  It is not only about reality, but also about dreams, feelings, and things that cannot be spoken, for there are no words.  Painting comes into existence in stillness, silence and isolation.  It has the ability to be infinite in its’ meanings.  It can hold different meanings for each who sees it and still another meaning for the one who creates it.



6 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I so appreciate and resonate with your discourse on what it is to be an artist. You are right on the money, Annell!

brenda w said...

I have not heard that painting is dead....and I follow Annell Livingston's blog, so I happen to know that there is no truth in that statement. :) You are an artist in many mediums. So glad you write with us!

Mary said...

You have really described the steps well. Beginning, middle, and end of any endeavor each have their challenges.

Lisa Williams said...

Painting has been a very important part of my life for the past decade. I know exactly what you are saying how sometimes we aren't sure where we're going with it, nevertheless we must continue. Beautiful poem!

Cheryl said...

I'm a wordsmith and am woefully aware of how limiting words can be regarding anything of beauty.

erin said...

no art is dead. not ever. if it is ever quiet, it is only waiting.

xo
erin

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...