Sunday, September 7, 2014

August 7 & 8, 2014 The Sunday Whirl/ At the Edge of All There Is/ Poetry Pantry/Imaginary Gardens with Real Toads



At the Edge of All There Is
I reside on the mesa there
Overlooking Taos Valley
Often Pueblo horses graze
Sleek and healthy
In the fields across the little dirt road
That meanders across the mesa
Can be followed all the way into town

At night when it is dark
After an eye’s wide open sunset
Red, yellow and gold
I often hear the sounds of bullets
Fired in the darkness
I’m not sure what or who is
Defending his home and family
Perhaps he dreams the ‘peoples’
Are being surrounded by ‘natives’
Perhaps he ‘saw’ something in the darkness
An unusual time for target practice
Or celebration…some say coyotes

The morning dismal
Overcast with grey clouds
Hiding the mountains from view
Another day to ‘try’
Meandering to the finish line
The day is planned
The completion is in sight

Upon completion
A new idea will be planted
As I work the idea grows
Becomes my future
I am keeping notes of my progress
It takes about six weeks
To complete a work
A spot ahead is designated
I am working toward it
Throwing the ball
Running to catch it

August 6, 2014

_______________________

Wonderland
As planned I did reach the finish line
Stepped back to take a look
It isn’t what I thought it would be
But I am foolish to think I knew
By now I should have learned
No matter what I think
The work has a mind of its’ own
And will be what it will be

The dominant color is green
Green of all living things
Of meadows and forests
Before the autumn color change
And green turns to gold
Accented with reds and oranges

Also as predicted
I am directed to the next project
I enter unknowing
Hopeful
A novice again
All that is known to me
Is to put one foot in front of another
And to continue to do this
Until a path is created
Something we both can see
My world is a wonderland

August 8th, 2014















Top of Form
Bottom of Form


13 comments:

Jae Rose said...

At the beginning the edge feels hopeful and full of colour and life...in the rest of nighttime perhaps when more is imagined than seen...as the poem moves on there is a sense of having to work hard..to be able to savour those moments again the next morning...edges are so hard..

Brian Miller said...

trying...keeping at it...it is all part of life...sometimes we stumble forward...but we can t even do that if we dont try...and documenting the process is important as well..it helps us see our progress....

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the mental vision of your desert, and the photos you share with us from time to time. Love the idea of you working through the completion of one work,l already knowing the one ahead waiting for you. I am always trying to catch up too......I suspect that is what keeps us going.

flaubert said...

Beautifully scenic, Annell. I love how you lead us into a focus to follow in your life, that is what I do every day.

Pamela ox

Anonymous said...

Visually stunning and captivating.

Anonymous said...

Having something to work toward and in your case the beautiful art (aside from poems) you create must be rewarding. Just don't throw the ball farther than you can run ; )

Arushi Ahuja said...

At the edge of all there is... what a beautiful start.. what a beautiful poem... life is indeed just a series of planted ideas we grow on!!

brudberg said...

Creation is like a path across that mesa.. and I guess no matter where we are heading we might end up where we didn't plan.. but maybe the life of the path is what's important really...

Anonymous said...

At the edge of all there is--- that phrase really speaks to me. The poem makes me experience a different place.

Anonymous said...

What a fascinating place! Beautiful poem, deftly crafted for several prompts.

J Cosmo Newbery said...

You paint quite a picture...

Kerry O'Connor said...

I always enjoy your descriptions of home. Your love of the countryside is keenly felt.

Sumana Roy said...

so beautifully written...

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...