Saturday, July 17, 2010

Saturday July 17, 2010 How many Saturdays are in a Month?


It seems like Saturday comes every other day. Where does the week go? I know I have no accurate sense of time, time flys by, each day seems as a minute. I often feel like the Mad Hatter, before the morning starts, I feel I am late, I am late, not time to wait, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late! Then I take a breath, slow down and remind myself, there is plenty of time, no hurry. I am here, and the day will pass as it will, and I will still be here, and I will get done what I can.



This week I have been in the process of photographing and inventorying older work. And because I work everyday, I have investigated and created many works. I decided several years ago, I would work on paper, because of the storage problem. And I have found I love to work on oriental paper because of it's organic quality. My favorite paper is made by Mr. Hosino in Kiryu, Japan. He is considered a national treasure. His family has made paper in Kiryu since the Edo period.



These pieces are from a series I called Fragments. It is the idea behind the work that dictates the image the artist creates. We do not experience the world, memory, or thought, as a whole, but rather in bits, or Fragments, which are part revealed, part concealed. Art should be required to be new, a sense of never before, not just like this, giving the viewer a different way of viewing the world.



In this series, Fragments, I am creating the composition, on an implied grid, which is not seen in the finished piece. These compositions are pure abstractions and have no reference to the material world, except for the element of color, which is carefully chosen from nature. I also consider the visual vibration of each color as it is laid randomly next to another.



These works could be seen as pages of a diary or journal, and like poetry, one idea dissolves into another, and the series of work becomes a sequence of new images. Like each new day, forever changing. Each piece takes time to create and they also require time to be seen. In science, this is called the Heisenberg Principle, a phenomenon that asserts the act of observing alters the reality being observed. Because, the finished work is not preconceived and arrives unexpected, I feel anticipation and excitement, and because it is my experience, there is the possibility the viewer will experience this at some level.

No comments:

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...