Wednesday, June 7, 2017

A POEM TO SAVE YOUR LIFE/dVerse


A Poem to Save Your Life


what is poetry after all              but a simple truth       a heart song

a life line        a life saver tossed to the drowning        a lovely song

sung softly in moon light    hummed in twilight          another day

sung from the top of your lungs      for all to hear      in hopes      
                                                                            someone will hear


but it isn’t for the poet     himself alone                poetry is for you          

written for you               spoken for you                     sung for you                    

it isn’t that you will die without it         but you will be impoverished                                                                                  
                                                                    your life less rich

the colors a little duller       harder to find your own truth                
                                                                     your heart a little sad

June 6, 2017                           



6 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

I agree that poetry is a simple truth - a heart song - a life line. I don't know where I'd be without it. I love the reassurance that poetry isn't just for the poet but also for the reader, which makes me feel wanted and respected and my heart isn't one bit sad after reading your words!

Frank Hubeny said...

Words can save a life, if said right.

brudberg said...

I think that currently poetry is a way of growing, but maybe it started when I was down there somewhere... lifeline, i like that.

Marina Sofia said...

I hope that more people will discover the capacity for heart song and life saver of poetry. I like your unusual lines and gaps. I see you use them frequently.

indybev said...

I so agree that poetry is the simple truth ... the heart song. It is at once a catharsis and a self-exploration. You've described it beautifully.

Mary said...

You have spoken truth! That is indeed what poetry is!

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...