Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday October 10, 2010 The Finish Line



This has been a very difficult week. It is the height of the season for the sagebrush and for allergies. It is like a symphony, and the climax of the piece reaches a great crescendo. Or for me, I have no energy, and can't think, it is as though I am underwater. I await the first snowfall.

A few weeks ago I started a project, based on, "what if?" Trying something just a little different and like most projects executed by artists, it is 5% inspiration and 95% inspiration. We love to have a new idea, something different. We are all excited to try it and can't wait to begin. After a while we get caught in the "trap," a great beginning, but really hard work. There is nothing exciting about that.

But it is the discipline of the "finish," that is important. I found this quote last week on Gerdiary's blog. "Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out --Vaclar Havel. And it seems so true, especially in regards to the efforts of the artist.

We have an idea and it is not about how it will be when finished, but that it makes sense. It is like the end of the day, to finish a project. I always hope I can look back, and say, I've worked hard, I've done a good job, and it's been a good day.



I SAW SUNDAY OCTOBER 10, 2010



This week has been difficult, because of my allergies. It is all consuming. But last night's sunset was so wonderful! As with all sunsets, always different, reminding me that we are always experiencing life a new, it's never been exactly this way before.



One morning this week, I came to the studio before daybreak. I looked up, and was surprised to see the sky full of clouds, just a light glow in the clouds from the obscured sunrise. And then, it rained, which it doesn't often do here in the high mountain desert. What a blessing.







http://oneshotpoetry.blogspot.com/p/one-shoot-sunday.html

5 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Your words about looking back on the day as a good one, a time you have worked hard...I too like the feeling of leaving my studio tired and with a feeling of well being.Even a feeling of a failed piece has hope for the next day so it all works out. Good luck with allergies they can be so aggravating.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

We artists are explorers - and exploring your idea is one way to walk through uncharted territory.

I react powerfully to the tree pollen here from late January to April - and I am always exhausted by it, so I feel your pain.

I love this line "the certainty that something makes sense".

Jannie Funster said...

Oh, I wish you relief for your allergies. I've struggled with cedar before and it's so debilitating. I wish I could wave my wand and make you fit as a fiddle again.

I hope you will find it a little consolation that your artsy blog brings my eyes and heart great joy today. Thank you.

nancy neva gagliano said...

allergies, even in paradise....that beautiful haven...

just finished a project i worked so hard on, not knowing...your words resonate.

Elizabeth said...

I sympathize with the allergies, my mother suffered with them most of her life and it was hard to watch and not be able to do much for her. I don't have a studio, just a very messy corner in my bedroom, but I still know that feeling of having spent a day doing satisfying work. And as always, I love your photos,

Elizabeth

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...