Monday, July 14, 2014

July 14, 2014 Imaginary Gardens with Real Toads/ Rain

Rain
So like a distant relative
In the Southwest
Land of drought
Although in Northern New Mexico
There is more rain
Than in other places
To the South

Now is the time
Of the Monsoons
It begins in early July
Middle of summer
Cools the hot days
Of course it doesn’t rain everywhere
But each afternoon
There are thundershowers
Mostly in the mountains
The rain brings life
Refreshes the parched earth

The Sky Mother sees
The waste and plunder
Sees the folly of her children
And cries teardrops…we call rain
The Monsoons are received as sacred
Though they may bring flash floods
There are two sides to every coin
                                                  Even rain

July 14, 2014

__________________

The Angels Took Him
He held me so tight
And I held him too
Till the twilight crept in
And filled the room
Alone together
In the quiet room
We counted the hours
Until the morning’s dew
He said I can’t stay long
And he meant what he said
When I returned
I was alone in that room
My Son was dead

We thought there was time
Plenty of time
A whole lifetime ahead
Who knew it would be over
At first light of morning
Alone in his bed
The angels took him
No more to be said
Letters and partly formed words
Scattered all over the floor

He had pointed to my heart
And back to his own heart
Looked deep into my eyes and said
“You are me”
Then pointing to his heart
Than back to my own
“I am you”
No more words were needed
He had said it all
We were one and would always be

July 14, 2014







12 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Rain in arid regions is a great blessing from the Sky Mother. But as you say there are two sides to every natural coin.

Grace said...

I like that rain is bringing life to the parched earth ~ The second share is very moving, very sad ~ Thanks for participating in Sunday's Challenge of Real Toads ~ Happy week ~

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Such beautiful poems, Annell....my grandma used to love a good thunderstorm......and I love how rain brings life to the parched earth. Love Sky Woman crying over human folly. And the poem about Jim - so moving, so sad. So beautiful.

Susie Clevenger said...

Two sides to a coin and an abundance of pain we we lose a loved one. Both poems are so beautiful.

21 Wits said...

Oh goodness yes, I feel the raindrops on both sides, the pain and the other side, washing over refreshing. Excellent moving response in your words.

Brian Miller said...

intriguing thought on the forces of nature crying at our folly...we got pounded tonight....my power was out for a while...we got it back but wont have net or tv til morning....i love their power, the storms...

yes you will always be one...what a tender moment there at the end of that second poem....hugs

Helen said...

You are me, I am you ~~ how incredibly lovely.

Margaret said...

Read the second one twice… I am very moved.

Unknown said...

Sad yet beautiful...

Anonymous said...

"There are two sides to every coin " applies to both poems. These are written with much depth of emotion but not at all mawkish. Beautifully done.

hedgewitch said...

Nature has a balance, even as love does, as your two graceful poems of life and mourning show, annel.

Gillena Cox said...

luv them both, i wrote in response to 'Rain' i posted today

http://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/2014/07/1471.html

much love...

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...