Monday, July 6, 2015

The Sunday Whirl Wordle #206/ Chatting with Crows



Chatting with Crows

the crows came          sat on the fence               i opened my heart to them

it has been splintered for many days                   i could feel the pain escaping

they said they knew      felt it in their bones              i offered them grain

they took it from my hand                                         one crow is for death

two crows a wedding                                    three means a baby is on the way

it is good                          they don't really like to be alone

a crack of thunder ended our chat                               i crawled home

collapsed in my bed pulled                                      the quilts over my head

in my dreams i worked with clay...                               i dreamed of you
July 4, 2015






Note: I am thinking we do not have to go far for an adventure. The crows do come and sit on the fence, if we could have a chat with them, oh how much we could learn. I have watched animals, and they teach us much.











10 comments:

X said...

Nice. I knew there was a lot of symbolism for crows, but I am glad you worked that in to give us more insight into the writing. Regardless their meaning, I think opening your heart to them is the right response - even if it is a bad meaning, by taking it in we begin to process it.

Love the form still - it leads to vertical reading - like the splintering, is it the fence or your heart - or both. It just adds depth. I like it.

Jae Rose said...

Absolutely adventures happen in our head - we do not need to pack a bag or board a train..i hope however that there will be some happier adventuring where crows are quiet and beds are soft and rich and healing

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this poem full of crows, love the idea of chatting with them. I adore "I opened my heart to them", and that you could feel the pain escaping. That must be why they came.

Unknown said...

i haven't a lot of crows near my Tucson home, but just spent several days in Southern California and they were everywhere! What chatter!

Myrna R. said...

This is a beautiful poem Annell. Animals can definitely teach us much. I like to watch the families of quail that walk by my house, and the rabbits that eat my husband's vegetables.

v said...

I like the easy familiarity of this, Annell--being able to bring our lives to nature for healing. And, oh dear, I do talk to birds...usually to thank them for stopping by.

brenda w said...

Opening hearts sets pain free.... I love the idea of crows facilitating this process. Also love the way you place your words on the page. Nicely done, Annell. So glad to be writing with you again!

Mama Pajama said...

I really dig this - the line breaks, the story it told, the way you used the words...maybe my favorite of the bunch (so far. you're #15 of 19 posts, and I'm #19)!

ZQ said...

Wonderful and I continue to enjoy your style. I also agree with your comment about nature/animals.
ZQ

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

This poem speaks to me of someone who might rightly be called a Crow Whisperer, or better: One Who Listens to Crows. There is much to be learned from crows, even though many people despise them. What would it hurt to listen once in a while, instead of shooing them off? I think the speaker in your poem "gets" it.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...