Tuesday, October 24, 2017

A MASK FOR DIA DE LOS MUERTOS/ dVerse

A Mask for Dia De Los Muertos

cautiously i approach the mirror           what i see does not look like me           i touch my fingers

to my face                                it doesn’t feel like me                           who is it…

or is it a mask                           who wears this mask                            and why

is it to hide my appearance       for a costume ball                                 all in fun

or is it to protect my identity     to hide a deed misdone                        eyes shaded

hard to see                               the skin that or a gator                          alive in the swamp

the color bright green               like tic toc croc            the gator who swallowed the clock

on the shores of neverland       in the adventures of peter pan              in the dead of night

i scream in horror                    of what i have become             or is it dia de los muertos

the day of the dead                   not scary at all                          but a day to honor the dead

i place your picture on the alter            fruit and candies          candles and all                        

you are what i will become       i remember you                        will you remember me

October 24, 2017                               

                       



                                                                       



9 comments:

brudberg said...

Love the dreamy sense of this (or maybe it's a nightmare...) all the thing we can see in a mirror.

Kim M. Russell said...

I have never liked mirrors or catching my reflection in a window. But seeing myself wearing a mask is even stranger. I can feel the horror!

Jane Dougherty said...

There is a sense of unease in this one, very dark, with teeth, ready to bite...

Frank Hubeny said...

The day of the dead is not scary. Halloween appears to me more humorous than scary as well. Good question at the end about remembrance. Death is a change in perspective.

indybev said...

I tell everyone I don't like to look in the mirror because every time I do some old woman gets in front of me! That came to mind as I read your poem, which was perfect, as always!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

I don't like looking in a mirror either as I can't believe that old crone is really me...
Where did the real me go?
Anna :o[

Mish said...

Oh how the mind can wander in the mirror...from life to death and all the masks we wear in between.

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

the part about the croc...green...Neverland...and an "alter" with offerings placed there..as in the "alter being" we've found or put in place...I find this post so intriguing.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I really liked the part about looking in the mirror and croc skin. I relate, though I dont believe it of you for a second. Smiles. I was especially moved by your closing lines.....laying gifts on the altar to remember those departed. Sigh. Very beautiful, Annell. I love your title!

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...