Sunday, October 15, 2017

OLD ROUTE #66/ The Sunday Whirl -- Sunday's Whirligig -- Poets United



OLD ROUTE #66

old route #66        runs right through southwest         through new mexico          

while it isn’t a pretense         so much is as it was             step back in time

you might be shocked                to see                            an old motel

exactly like teepees          old filling stations                  old drugstores          

found along the way         route #66                  winds through the desert



you might see an owl        perched                                  in a bare tree

and of course                    you will see                           a murder of crows

gossiping on the fence       you will hear their caws      the sun rises in the east

route #66 runs                    east or west                              take your pick

after the sun sets                 route #66                     lights the desert with neon




just like the old days       so much on route #66     reminds one of bygone days

flee the city                      travel the west                            a new place to roam

find space to breathe   colorful posters proclaimed          come to the west     

put the kids in the jump seat    see the grand canyon       the painted desert

cowboys and indians          come to the west                      drive route #66                    

           

October 14, 2017                                                                                                      


                        

15 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Even the thought of Route 66 brings smiles to my face. I began to enjoy photography while driving in that fable... Ah, I'm smiling again.

brudberg said...

Oh yes... I have traveled part of that route... I remember the small towns and the motels (I think I have seen those tepees many years ago)... The four corner region is a fascinating area to travel.

indybev said...

My home town (Pontiac, Illinois) has become a mecca for those who travel the old Route 66. It has become a thriving little community visited often by folks from all over the world who have fascination for the old route. You've captured its nostalgia well.

Gillena Cox said...

Very interesting sips of nostalgia. Happy Sunday Annell

Much💖love

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I used to love the tv show Route 66 and dreamed of road trips! I love this invitation. Would love to have seen the Grand Canyon this lifetime.

Namratha said...

I love road trips! Route 66 sounds inviting! One day i will..

hyperCRYPTICal said...

I remember the TV show too. And Route 66 does sound inviting!
Anna :o]

Sanaa Rizvi said...

It's interesting how a place completely changes when we visit it the second time around... though the scenery remains the same... the emotions we experience are different :)

Mary said...

I enjoyed this nostalgic write, Annell. As Sherry mentioned, I also used to like the television show by the same name. I wouldn't mind driving the route today, just to see what it is really like.

ayala said...

You have me there...a cool nostalgic piece.

colleen Looseleafnotes said...

Reading was like heading out on a road trip!

Wendy Bourke said...

The form really works beautifully with the content to create an awesome synergy. Wonderfully drawn. I am there ~ ~ ~

rallentanda said...

Everyone has heard of route 66 from the old tv series..Evocative poem, well done !

Thotpurge said...

Wanted to do that drive, didn't get around to it.. it's still somewhere on life's things to do.

Marja said...

Beautiful description which make route 66 come alive. I saw the roadtrip on route 66 of Bill Conolly and therefore I could appreciate your poem even more. Great poem

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...