Wednesday, October 25, 2023

The Mundane The Ordinary The Extraordinary

 The Mundane

  The Mundane The Ordinary The Extraordinary   


 you say, he died  

died too young 

 just a boy, after all 

 too tender for this world    


I ran into you yesterday  

you say, your husband died  

a man I did not know  

I saw tears in your eyes    


another time  

I said, he died, drowned  

a fisherman   

drowned while fishing   


 the phone rang 

 you say, he died 

 just a boy after all  

the youngest of your children    


another time  

you say, she died  a beautiful young woman 

 died too young    


I stopped a man on the street  

with breaking voice 

 I said, he died, my only son  

died too young, just a boy    


Written for: https://newwhatsgoingon.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

Mary said...

This poem is filled with such sadness, Annell. So hard when a person dies waayy too young.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

So very heartbreaking, all of the deaths we experience in this life. A beautiful and sad poem.

Susan said...

O God yes, so often it's mundane, but each is sad in its own right or downright tragic. Your title says it all.

Sumana Roy said...

Coping up with such heartbreaks is definitely extraordinary. Love the resilience of the human mind that passes through such grief. Beautiful, Annell.

Kim M. Russell said...

A poignant poem that breaks my heart, Annell.

Jane Dougherty said...

What could be more banal than death (and birth), yet each death is a drama, a tragedy for someone. The words we hear in other's mouths could be our own.

Panchali said...

Sigh! Often we underestimate the value of documenting the present, especially the mundane....

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...