Wednesday, November 1, 2023

From Flat Lands to Desert

 






From Flat Lands to Desert

to move or not to move

that is the question

we've been here

for such a long time


a place for everything

and everything in it's place

whatever it is

you can find it in the dark


I love my house

and hate to leave

but the memories 

say, it is time


go west young

or not so young woman

follow the sun

as it settles on the horizon


land of enchantment beckones

I've been in the flat land by the sea

too long, time to leave


my new home waits for me

at the foot of the mountain

in the middle of the sage

we hardly know what we are doing


but it is what we must do

no reason to argue

it is what it will be

a new life in the desert for me


starting over isn't easy

I walk in the desert

cactus stickers hurt my toes

nothing soothes the pain


Written for:  https://newwhatsgoingon.blogspot.com/








5 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This beautifully describes a very big move that changed your life, as my move to Tofino did mine. And now you live at the foot of your mountains, the desert beautiful around you and you have made such a lovely life there. I loved this poem, Annell.

Susan said...

To think of the desert as the land of enchantment--and a magnet for your heart--is hard for me. Brave woman! With " a place for everything" and "whatever it is/ you can find it in the dark" holding you, it was quite a leap! But the poem makes the move also sound promising--even spectacular where it nestles in the mountains, the desert at your feet.

Sumana Roy said...

To live in 'the land of enchantment' is a reward for taking the great leap. A beautiful poem.

Mary said...

No, sometimes it isn't easy to start over, but one knows when it is time. Well penned.

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Annell,

A beautiful poem as a collection of memories..it isn't easy with the prospect of change, but there is also a kind of unknown enticement...the land of enchantment seems interesting, in that respect!

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...