Thursday, February 15, 2024

You Left in the Morning


You left in the Morning

 

I promised I would return in the morning

And I did

I was late because the driver 

Had many stops to make

 

I was not the only one 

There were many

Stops and starts

 

Drop off one

Pick up another

 

Still when I arrived

The woman at the desk

Recognized me

And asked to be sure

 

She said

He has just passed

I was too late

 

Too see you one last time

The night before as I was leaving

I stopped at the desk

And asked how long it would be

 

I was told, “Oh, it might be weeks.”

The morning came and you

Were gone

 

Before I left home

I asked you, “ What should I hope for?”

Your answer, “That he does not suffer long.”

 

Long?  How long is too long?

What is the measurement?

How is one to know?


Written for:  https://newwhatsgoingon.blogspot.com   Aubade


























 https://newwhatsgoingon.blogspot.com   Aubade

7 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Such a deep heartbreak, Annell, arriving those few minutes too late. They say sometimes people prefer to pass on their own, but I know how you longed to be there, to comfort him as he passed into the light. A sorrow like this lasts forever, I know. Your poem is a beautiful tribute to your beloved son.

alan1704 said...

I can feel the heart break and the loss. Very moving and well written.

Mary said...

Truly a mournful poem. How difficult it must have been to have arrived just a little bit too late. Very moving writing!

Susan said...

You capture both the bewilderment and the loss here. A very moving piece, Annell.

Sumana Roy said...

Some mornings are so heartbreaking. With our loved ones, we walk through the path of trepidation and loss and live in a forever void. A beautiful poem Annell.

Dora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dora said...

I can't imagine how painful that morning must have been, to have missed his passing by moments. Your emotions surrounding that moment, the interactions, the careless uncertainty of how long he had left, all add to the devastation of the loss. So sorry you had to go through that. May you take comfort that his suffering is at an end.
(Sorry had to delete earlier reply due to typos)

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...