Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wednesday June 30, 2010




The morning is quiet and sunny. There is not a cloud in the sky, of any description, or color. The sky is simply that beautiful New Mexico blue. As though the child could not stop coloring with the NM-sky blue crayon, the favorite in the box. The little birds seems to have left the neighborhood. I'm sure there is so much for them to learn before winter. The two of them seemed to be strong and healthy, and I wish good luck to them in their young lives. And we will look forward to see if their strong and faithful parents will return again next year to raise another pair of little fly-catchers.

On Saturday, August 7th, Lumina Gallery, in Taos, New Mexico will have an opening to celebrate the artists of the gallery, but my dealer, Felicia Ferguson, tells me, "It is to especially celebrate the creation of the Poems of the Desert, my new series." I was at the gallery yesterday, and there was a hustle and bustle of activity in preparation for the opening.

I read a statement yesterday of an artist, saying that the painting actually said nothing. And of course that is true. For if I listen, I can hear no sound. But it is my opinion, art is a visual language, and there is communicate, between the artist and the work, and between the work and the viewer, therefore between the artist and the viewer. There is thought behind every work. As the artist works, he dreams...of other places, of memory, of new ideas, all matter of things he knows in his life. And therefore there is a narrative. Like the quote on Donna Watson's site, "People will forget what is said, people will forget what is done, but they won't forget how you made them feel." --Maya Angelou

There it is! It is the feeling, that is exchanged! And I have always thought if the work is created by the heart, there is the possibility that the work can be seen by the heart....but only the possibility.

3 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Wonderful quote from Maya Angelou...so true. I wish you well on the building excitement of an opening at your gallery...always a fun event to show and meet people!

Stephanie Clayton said...

true, your words: "art is a visual language, and there is communicate, between the artist and the work, and between the work and the viewer, therefore between the artist and the viewer."

re: your comment on my blog, i recall when i visited new mexico, seeing lots of aqua, or turquoise (of course the stone, but that desert sky, too). i'm wondering now if the color is indeed sacred to the native cultures in the area. i first visited new mexico as a teen, when i had the amazing opportunity to stay on a pueblo reservation with my family and extended family of in-laws (who were pueblos). the beauty of the people and the environment had a profound effect on me.

i'll go visit your website now...glad to be introduced to your work and blog.

Art Trip said...

Loving your paintings. Very direct. Thanks for posting.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...