Monday, May 29, 2017

dVerse/ Haibun Monday

I cannot remember the date, the year, or season.  Was it so long ago? I know it was more than three years ago.  Together, two peas in a pod, as we have always been.  Something happened, the platter was broken.  The story untold. 

We stopped at a thrift store, and the broken platter was on a table outside.  Priced too high.  But still I liked it, blue and white, like the New Mexico sky.  It was badly repaired, hardened thick glue oozing out of the cracks, dried into place. I picked up the platter, even broken a real jewel.  I asked, and sure enough, the people were appalled by the price on the tag, said it was wrong and quoted a price I could afford.  The treasure was mine, little did I know it would foretell the future, our relationship would be broken just like the platter, badly repaired.  And like Humpty Dumpty couldn’t be put back together again.  The crack would always visible, no amount of gold would make it whole again.

New Mexico blue sky/white clouds
Broken into two
No amount of gold would do

Note:  Like my platter, my Haiku was not perfect. 



12 comments:

brudberg said...

I like it a lot, as an opposite to the repair where no Gold could enhance it, and yes sometimes it's the crack or the border in itself that is the concern.

sarah said...

Oh, a little sad. But a lovely haiku, and sometimes we should acknowledge that things can't be mended.

Grace said...

The cracks are always visible, specially if it concerns a relationship. And trust once broken is hard to repair, but for others, there is hope for second or third chances ~ Love your haibun, specially your "imperfect haiku", smiles ~

Frank Hubeny said...

Gold can't fill the cracks between humans. Nice haibun.

Waltermarks said...

A wonderful comparison of the two cracked vessels; the platter and your family relationship. Sometimes the best glue isn't enough. I guess the platter held together better than the relationship. The Haiku was excellent, binding the two together

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh I love this, especially the comparison of the broken platter and relationship. Sometimes no amount of glue will do. I love that you saw the beauty, even in its brokenness. Not everyone would.

kaykuala said...

Little did I know it would foretell the future,
our relationship would be broken just like the platter

Sometimes by some uncanny coincidence there are hints or tell-tale signs of an impending truth. It gets frightful upon realizing it! Rightly so annell!

Hank

Kim M. Russell said...

I love the way you have reversed Kintsugi in your prose and the repair is glue not gold. Such a sad comparison of the broekn platter and the relationship. I also love the similes 'blue and white, like the New Mexico sky' and 'like Humpty Dumpty couldn’t be put back together again' - and your 'imperfect' haiku!.

Nosaint said...

When something important breaks, it is like the very sky and clouds have broken. Great haiku and very relatable story.

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Oh my ..... this prose is heartfelt. The opposite of Kintsugi --- the mending makes it all the more untenable here. A good write -- although sad in its conclusion.

Jeren Nazuto said...

A different and beatiful perspective and the haiku may not be perfect but it's indeed beautiful. Maybe that's we have to search, beauty instead of perfection. Well done Haibun, I loved it!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

How honest & heartfelt your haibun and how perfect the imperfections of your haiku. I am sad that your relationship could not be glued together again and send you my love.
Kind regards
Anna :o]

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...