Wednesday, May 31, 2017

I USED TO SMOKE/ Poets United Midweek Motif/ Smoking Tobacco

I USED TO SMOKE

i smoked when i was younger              thought it was cool                   it is said

it is the thinking man’s drug                 and i had some thoughts          wanted to concentrate

filled many an ashtray                          with my habit                           and it is a habit

puff, puff                          from which many have died                        from such foolish thoughts      



there will be a day of reckoning           a price to pay                           the body doesn’t really like it   

sometimes i still think               maybe i would like to smoke              but no it isn’t worth the risk

still there are a few who still do            unlike so many                         after i quit

put them down                         i never hated the smell of smoke          or others smoking



just knew the danger                            i am not tempted                      quitting is hard

willie nelson said                                  one of the hardest                    things you will ever do

so better not to start                              leave it to others                       to keep the tradition

smoke the peace pipe               death comes soon enough        so best not to encourage its’ coming

May 31, 2017 




                       


11 comments:

signed...bkm said...

Better not to tempt it.(death) .. I am thankful I never did through smoking though I grew up around it. .. today it is taboo - I see both sides I choose to stay on the side I first chose...bkm

Gillena Cox said...

A lot of wisdom in smoking "the peace pipe"

have a good Wednesday

much love...

Sanaa Rizvi said...

quitting is hard willie nelson said one of the hardest things you will ever do so better not to start, leave it to others to keep the tradition smoke the peace pipe, death comes soon enough so best not to encourage its’ coming." Beautifully haunting!!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I am glad you quit. Because my elders smoked too much, I never ever wanted to. Am thankful for that.

Susan said...

"it is the thinking man’s drug and i had some thoughts wanted to concentrate

filled many an ashtray with my habit and it is a habit

puff, puff from which many have died from such foolish thoughts"

Oh yes! And we used to smoke in philosophy classes with a little tin ashtray and feet up on the desk. Much of what I thought back then I don't remember now. Remembering is like watching a scene in a movie.

Thotpurge said...

Well done, peace pipe over cigarettes!!

Old Egg said...

Yes it is best to cvome to one's senses before it has done any harm.

Sumana Roy said...

'quitting is hard' yet it's only us, mankind, who can do this hard work...'smoke the peace pipe' love this...

Sreeja said...

valuable thoughts...!

Jae Rose said...

I am glad you have quit.. it is a costly habit but perhaps not a completely bad one

Marja said...

Great well thought out message

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...