Tuesday, May 30, 2017

THE GIFT YOU GAVE ME WAS AS DARK AS A PIECE OF COAL/ dVerse

THE GIFT YOU GAVE ME WAS AS DARK AS A PIECE OF COAL

you shared your perspective     not that it was asked for           after       
                                                                           all i had no idea

i was in need of it              could use it                   funny how that is

you said it yourself            many people…          many many people

think their perspective the only one    the right one        and surely     
                                                                             you do too



it isn’t always true             you meant well             for my own good

still you didn’t ask me       do you have a reason   why it works for 
                                                                              for you

why do you choose            to do it that way          still it seems

the gift you gave                 is a dark one                but there is 
                                                                         beauty in the dark



much to be learned           in the shadows      you have given me that  
                                                                             opportunity

a gift indeed         tied with black crepe       i would not have known       

had no way to know      you broadened my view     it was your gift 


you opened my eyes     and thrust it into my heart          as if to kill



May 30, 2017





It is amazing to realize that no two perspectives are exactly alike. We each see a unique world and experience a unique lifetime. Remaining open to the stories of others allows us to tap into many, many lifetimes.  –Branaird Carey

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness.  It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift."  Mary Oliver
                    

13 comments:

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

...much to be learned in the shadows......
Indeed. A gift given...from whose perspective?
A thought provoking piece with an excellent title.

Kim M. Russell said...

I agree with Lillian - and I love the title, Anell!

brudberg said...

I think you are right... we learn the most from the darkest gifts... I can see that this reflected in the quote by Mary Oliver.

indybev said...

Point well taken. Our lessons often come in disguise. Love the Oliver quote too!

Frank Hubeny said...

Some gifts we need to be wary of.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is so wonderfully deep and wise. We must be aware of such gifts.

De Jackson said...

So much yes to this:
but there is
beauty in the dark


I love the Oliver quote, as well. Wonderful.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is wonderfully wise, wisdom born from pain. I love the Oliver quote.

Waltermarks said...

Real surprise ending; you had me thinking this was a good thing, then pow. This one has a real punch

Sumana Roy said...

yeah...a gift of darkness...but we learn..

Nosaint said...

Took me a long time to realize I need to listen to myself first, and your poem described that revelation so well. Thanks for posting!

Katie Mia Frederick said...

Icicle
Rain of
Grey Day
Winter's dARk..
SinGs BluE
sKeYes
aBoDe
aBoVe
mELt
NoW oF
HeArT GiFt
SonG sPiRiT
soUL RisES MounTaiN
SnoW whiTE.. DriFt..:)

Jeren Nazuto said...

The gifts which teaches us are really an wonderful gift! Loved the coal comparison!!

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...