Monday, September 18, 2017

Why I Write, and How I Write It --dVerse Haibun Monday

Why I Write, and How I Write It?

Why I write at all, is because I want to know what I think.  I will sit down to write, and I think, I am thinking nothing.  Nothing at all.  Sometimes I stumble to get the words out.  One word follows another, and soon I get a clue, to what is going in my mind.  It is almost like catching butterflies with a net.  And sometimes I am surprised at what I am thinking, what is on my mind. 

I find if I don’t write it down.  I forget it quickly.  Each new thought, often erases the former thought.  Of course sometime I know what I have on my mind, and on those days it is easier to write, with the confidence of “knowing”, what I want to say.  Just a matter of rearranging the deck chairs.  Allowing what is needed first, and then what follows, and how I want to wrap it up.

I also choose to write in three columns.  As a visual artist, I want to fill the page.  And it works for me in poetry.  I like the way it looks.  And I like that it can be read vertically or horizontally.  Sometimes I get new meanings to my words, something unexpected.  I also write to amuse myself, since I never know what I will write until it is written.



Autumn day mid-September
Sun sparkles on words unexpected
Written in stone



    

Note:  This is a quick sketch.  I didn't realize it is a Haiku.

17 comments:

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

I always enjoy your three column poetry...and now I understand a bit more why you write that way :)
Oh I so agree.....sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and a thought for a poem crosses my mind. I used to just roll over and think it would be there when I awaken in the morning, but I've learned better. Now I make a quick run to the study and jot it down, with the light on. I used to have a little notebook on my dresser and jot it down in the dark, but I found in the morning I couldn't read my writing! :)
I'm enjoying getting to know our dVerse writers through Toni's prompt! :) So glad you did the prompt!

brudberg said...

Oh I can always recognize your three columns, and the way you can get new meanings in that... I recognize the way of tracing thoughts by just starting to write. I envy your autumn weather, here it's grey.

Frank Hubeny said...

I write as well to find out what I'm thinking. It also helps to understand whatever it is more. Sometimes I wonder if there are more people involved in the writing process than just myself although I have to assume responsibility for the end result.

indybev said...

Interesting insight into your very distinctive style. I find your description of "catching butterflies" intriguing.

sarah said...

Yes! Writing is self exploration, too.

Sarah Russell said...

I love your "catching butterflies." Yes, thoughts are like that, especially when the page is blank and you let the words just flit in and out. Perfect description.

Abigail Gronway said...

How interesting! In a poem I wrote a few days ago I used a butterfly net as a metaphor for capturing ideas and words. :)

Blogoratti said...

Lovely thoughts about writing, when it comes to poetry I start with a thought and try to get it down before it escapes me, and while doing this other pieces appear to form the final puzzle.

I enjoy your poetry form and it's always nice to read. Greetings!

Grace said...

A visual artist, thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. I am also surprise by the way words turn out after writing them down. Let's catch words like butterflies with a net.

Wendy Bourke said...

The prose piece was interesting - as well as rather edifying. I find the creative process of writers, fascinating - endlessly and uniquely 'theirs' ... though the act of sharing that place where the words come from, does impart insight into one's own way of proceeding. Your haiku is the perfect 'butterfly' alighting on the unfolding haibun. I enjoyed reading this!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this journey into your creativity.

Margaret said...

"catching butterflies with a net." That is cool! One reason I type most my poetry is writing is slow and I can't keep up with my thoughts and will loose them if I write.... so I understand that.

Kathy Reed said...

You have a method to your writing and your joy in it is obvious. What a good way to know yourself.:-)

Kim M. Russell said...

So much to identify with here, Annell! I'm the same - I write because I want to know what I think. It can be like catching butterflies and I often go back to old poems and surprise myself with what was on my mind. I also have the problem of forgetting words, phrase, whole poems if I don't write them down.

Walt Wojtanik said...

Enjoy your artful process in whatever form you express it, Annell.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the haiku and especially your sketch. Wonderful!

Nosaint said...

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your process. I like how the three columns brings about surprising combinations.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...