Sunday, January 7, 2018

THE DREAM: JANUARY 7, 2018 Sunday's Whirligig, The Sunday Whirl, Poets United Poets Pantry

The Dream:  January 7, 2018

upon waking       the feeling of the dream stayed with me       it seemed
                                                                                                    very big

though it was made up        of the smallest things                    a visit
        
the children were small       perhaps it was a dream -     memory   

i pulled the paper ticket    from my bag        it was time for me to leave



i gathered my things            checked my watch      filled with dread

i would not make the plane     a staccato dance/    checked my watch
                                                                                  again…4:00 a.m.

all was quiet                too early to get up               the years flew by

i was back in my bed       left with only the feeling of yesterday
                                                                we were two young mothers



with young children        in our care            memories returned

of so many visits         always ending             in that staccato dance

the wild dash to the airport          the flammable stone still in my hand

had we known then     would we have continued    would we say



it was all worth it        each day sprinkled with magic dust      filled with
                                                                       love and laughter
just like a dream         my baby sister and me        my sidekick

we traveled the yellow brick road         in hopes of meeting the wizard
                                                               destination unknown

January 7, 2018                   

        



        

        

        

        



12 comments:

brudberg said...

It used to be a returning nightmare for me, to be there too late, having forgotten something... The closest I came was that I had packed my passport once inside my suitcase and had to unpack it before checkin...

Jae Rose said...

I like how this piece changes tone and captures both the darkness of night and the hope of morning - a great poem to start the new year xo

Magaly Guerrero said...

Dreaming into the unknown... intriguing.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Such poignant memories, you and your baby sister, when your children were small. Sigh. Such golden times to look back upon, all that laughter, tempered with all that the years have brought since then, the losses, the tears. Sigh. A beautiful poem, Annell.

Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

A fascinating dream and memory rolled into one....

Victoria said...

Very effective use of staccato in this--the form, the writing, the sort of jaggedness of muddled thoughts, flashing back and forth between now and the past. I "felt" the dream-confusion.

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

I love the way you tell your story. Memories are bittersweet.
I have a similar nightmare to what Bjorn describes in his comment. I am at the airport boarding a plane, the plane takes off, but then lands immediately. I am back in the boarding process once again and never get where I'm wanting to go.

Gillena Cox said...

Luv the nostalgia which the dream draws forth. Telling you not to let go of the path to the unknown

Happy New Year

Thank you for dropping by my Sunday Standard today [my first for the year]

Much💖love

Old Egg said...

Of course it was worth it. One's mind is filled with memories some always there others appearing ans shocking us that the brain had even stored that away from so many years ago. Despte the happy memories there is always the sadness involved too as loved ones have no gone and friends no longer in touch. Luckily Facebook has fixed that with a few and I love them all!

Wendy Bourke said...

I love what you've done here. It reads somewhat like a dreamy stream of consciousness, though its a cascade of memories that connect in interesting and intriguing ways.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Small things, perhaps, but of great import.

Myrna R. said...

I love this, especially the last lines. I suspect you found the wizard and it was within you all along.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...