Wednesday, July 4, 2018

LAND OF THE FREE/poets united midweek motif/Lady Liberty

LAND OF THE FREE

Lady Liberty
Mother to us all
She speaks in these words
She asks for your tired
Your poor
Your huddled masses
Yearning to breathe free

My family came in 1858
From Ireland
Two brothers
Who were millers
Who became farmers
Raised cotton
In Trinity County, TX

She holds the lantern
Lights the way
We all came
Came from somewhere else
Who closes the door today

Who separates families
Takes small children
From Mothers and Fathers
It is hard to take pride
In what we have become

July 4th, 2018



“Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homelesstempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door! The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation, Inc.”


No comments:

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...