Sunday, August 16, 2015

Augsut 16, 2015 The Sunday Whirl #212/ Children's Games --Poets United

Children's Games

the sack       that once held treats       lay empty by the door

we scattered the loot              the feast of candies 

shared them equally           the idea of ghosts and goblins     

empty stories         made up to amuse children

darkness can generate fears           and we were frightened

yet we laughed       as we tricked or treated through the streets

on halloween       especially our own brand of horror     

customes and masks           then squeals of laughter      

children's games          innocent enough                   the bar 

was always raised             who was brave         who was not                   

once started                there was no escaping                  

the laughter of children          the running through the streets                                                  

August 16, 2015


12 comments:

C.C. said...

This whole thing is so nostalgic for me, especially, "the laughter of children/the running through the streets"--all that Halloween entailed when my children were younger. Great memories :-)

Sanaa Rizvi said...

To watch children laughing and playing games is certainly a treat.
Well penned :)

Lots of love,
Sanaa

Natašek said...

childhood is a wonderful thing to witness.

brudberg said...

I do get the joy of childhood but also threading close to the border to an abyss of adulthood.. there is danger and the bar keeps rising.

Anonymous said...

I remember those fears fought off with squeals of laughter. We don't change much, do we?

Elizabeth

Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

I am also nostalgic here wearing our masks, eating candy and trying to be brave as we did our tricks.

Mary said...

You invoke memories of my own Halloween experiences, Annell. So true, the bar was always raised. Always something more daring. We had such fun. I enjoyed your reminiscing, which so parallels my own memories.

X said...

Ha. Its probably a bit early for us to be thinking about halloween and yet we both did today. Maybe it is the hope for cooler fall weather. My fav time of year. We used to have so much fun on halloween. I fear we may be at the age when my boys have grown out of it.

Sumana Roy said...

lovely innocent childhood's memories...specially love "especially our own brand of horror / customes and masks then squeals of laughter"...

Misky said...

A wonderful take on those words. You did them credit!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Such a wonderful night for kids......you took me back to my kids' excitement every Hallowe'en! Loved this, my friend.

Gen Giggles said...

You captured the fun of that night so well.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...