Thursday, August 30, 2018

Destination Unknown/imaginary garadens with real toads

Destination Unknown

When I ask, “Where are you going?”
And you answer, “Destination unknown.”
I stand by the road
And watch you go

My journey begins in the morning
By late afternoon, time for rest
You ask, “Where am I going?”
I also answer, “Destination unknown.”

I remember a little toy
That you wound with a key
And its little feet began to walk
It reminds me of me

My feet placed on the road
They move, they walk
The road is long
Destination unknown

How will I know I have reach the end of the road
There will be no more road before me
The long road will stretch behind
Still I keep walking

August 30, 2018

11 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

I had a toy like that, Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble; I'd wind them up and they'd walk together, a soft-shoe shuffle of a walk that only worked on a flat surface! I'd forgotten all about that and then, out of the blue, you've reminded me, Annell! Thank you.


annell4 said...

Yes, Kim all the toys of childhood, drag along the hours of play, and silently, we were growing into the women we would become...thank you Kim.

Outlawyer said...

Yes. It can feel like that. Well stated. k.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Well said, Annell.

Dr. Vandana Sharma said...

Life is indeed a journey and although we might think that we know where we are going, but still the destination is unknown.

Old Egg said...

What a beautiful but sad poem Annell. How we all would like to turn the clock back.

annell4 said...

Dear Old Egg, It was not meant to be sad, rather, "What's it all about, this thing called life (or the journey)." No need to look back, (at least not too long) the best is yet to come.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I definitely resonate with this poem! I like your journey in your studio, and your rest in late afternoon. A good routine.

Jim said...

I liked the walk, Annell. Not a really happy walk, very scary walk folks have. We can trust the Lord though still there are dobuts. Putting our trust in a person is,what love is about but the odds for "till death do us part" are slim. Been there, thirteen years first marriage. This one has 45 years but at first I was prepared for years for a sudden end.
..

Kerry O'Connor said...

I remember a little toy
That you wound with a key
And its little feet began to walk
It reminds me of me

This is a little poem within a poem. I so enjoyed the whole piece - the rhetorical question sets the tone.

brudberg said...

I think that sometimes we just have to enjoy the journey... the destination will come when it comes.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...