Sunday, September 2, 2018

A Summer Day/Honeyseuckle in the Air/the sunday whirl, wordle #367 -- poets united poets pantry




                                 Fragments Grometry and Change  36"x36"  acrylic on canvas


A Summer Day/Honeysuckle in the Air

For one who has been stung by grief
Surrounded by memories
A small bird
Might fly in
To remind the griever
Of the loved one’s touch

It happened to me
On the morning you died
A cardinal and his mate
Flew close and seemed to whisper
“Hurry” for time passes
And soon it will be too late”

A chill enveloped me
Even though the morning warm
A summer day
Honeysuckle in the air
The sun found its way through the trees
Shadow patterns dappled at my feet

The morning quiet
All was peaceful on that day
I gathered my strength
As the little bird said
The van arrived too late
Your room empty
You had gone away

I remember it well
Like a movie seen many times
Each detail sharp in memory
Your trunk open by the bed
You took nothing with you
I held your hand 
For the last time



September 2, 2018
Wordle #367

15 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Somehow your grief poems bring me a sense of peace. Thank you,

Elizabeth

Gillena Cox said...

A beautiful sad poem. Spiced with the resonance of emptiness throughout

Happy Sunday Annell

much love...

Vivian Zems said...

This is both sad and beautiful. Eloquently put.

Jae Rose said...

So very touching

brudberg said...

The details and beauty is such a contrast to the sorrow... sometimes I think I would wish for a dark and stormy night for a moment like this.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I make this journey with you, through this poem, the bird's warning, the scent of honeysuckle in the air, the scent that will forever return you, in memory, to the quiet hallway and that empty room. Sigh. Some losses are just too great. Such beauty in this poem, my friend.

annell4 said...

Bjorn, yes, a dark and stromy night would be good, and probably better, but that isn't really life is it...things often don't happen as we think they should. Thanks for your comment.

Wendy Bourke said...

This is so beautifully drawn - with such poignant tenderness - it brought a lump to my throat. A stunning piece of writing.

tonispencer said...

A truly bit of beautiful writing. The honeysuckle and the empty room. Sadly elegant.

Old Egg said...

I had been with my wife several hours that day and the nurse said "Go and have a break" so I did and soon after I got home the call came that she had died. Sadly we are not in charge and the hurt would occur wherever I was. Yes, this poem is beautifully written.

Pat B said...

This is a beautiful.
Often there are things that happen, whether dreams or something someone says, a feeling that comes over you, or even something in nature that strikes you a certain way that seems to be a forewarning of an impending death or crisis. However, it seems that it is often in hindsight one realizes the significance.

Kim M. Russell said...

A stunning grief poem, Annell. I had a similar experience with a robin.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

As others have said, both sad and beautiful. I love the way you have given us such detail.

From other stories I have been told, I think often the dying wait until they are alone to slip away. Perhaps, in a last gesture of love, they wish to spare their loved ones that final moment? And yes, I think oter, non-human living beings often cine to give us signs.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

"Shadow patterns dappled at my feet" is such a beautiful image 💜

Mary said...

This poem writes grief as it is. Profound. Stark. Real. All of the details. Vivid in your mind, and you make them vivid to the reader as well.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...